← Back to Supply Chain Review Ocean Freight

Drewry WCI Surges 23% to $3,433/FEU as Early Peak Season Drives Transpacific and Asia-Europe Rates Higher

Source: Drewry / Container News · 2026-06-09 · 17 min read
中文

Supply Chain Action Points

Read this first — the conclusion, and the moves to make:

  1. By 12 June 2026, each category sourcing lead produces one sheet ranking every Q3-arrival SKU by goods value per 40-foot container, with tariff line and current duty rate; no front-loading decision is made off that sheet without a value-per-box figure.
  2. By 13 June 2026, finance signs off the carrying-cost assumption in writing; my working number is 1.5% per month of goods value (60,000 dollars a box), and any pull-forward beyond six weeks needs a second signature.
  3. Cap the front-load at 60% of Q3 volume: pull only SKUs whose goods value per container clears the break-even line (38,000 dollars at a five-point tariff delta, 19,000 at ten points), and release a further 20% only on written confirmation of a dated July adjustment.
  4. By 30 June 2026, insert three surcharge clauses into the contract: 15 days' written notice, per-FEU basis and applicability stated on the same line, and a stated expiry date after which the surcharge drops off automatically.
  5. Re-state the cost at unit level before booking: 1,900 dollars a box divided by an assumed 1,200 units is 1.58 dollars a unit; SKUs with contribution below 2.50 dollars a unit are excluded from the front-load.
  6. Book nothing whose landed arrival date cannot clear the July tariff date with one week of margin; if the entry date cannot be committed in writing, the shipment stays on the normal schedule and takes the tariff.
Skip to the detailed analysis ↓
Summary

The Drewry World Container Index composite jumped 23% week-on-week to $3,433 per 40ft container as of June 4, with transpacific and Asia-Europe lanes leading the surge. Shanghai-Los Angeles spot rates climbed 31% to $4,565/FEU and Shanghai-Rotterdam rose 25% to $3,579/FEU. Carriers announced only three blank sailings on transpacific services next week — signaling strong demand confidence — while importers continued front-loading cargo ahead of expected July US tariff adjustments and FIFA World Cup-related shipments. Hapag-Lloyd and Maersk announced additional surcharge increases effective June 8-10 of $300-$500 per TEU and $600-$1,000 per FEU. Drewry expects further upward pressure through mid-June as peak season demand intensifies.

The Analysis

Every year around this time the same meeting lands in my calendar with the same subject line: do we pull it forward. This year the trigger arrived on 4 June, when the Drewry World Container Index printed 3,433 dollars for a 40-foot container, up 23 per cent on the week. Shanghai to Los Angeles went to 4,565 dollars, up 31 per cent. Shanghai to Rotterdam went to 3,579, up 25 per cent. Carriers announced three blank sailings on the Transpacific for the following week. Hapag-Lloyd and Maersk put further surcharges through, effective between 8 and 10 June, at 300 to 500 dollars a TEU and 600 to 1,000 a FEU. Drewry expects more upward pressure into mid-June.

Most people read that and see a freight story. I read it and see a purchase order I have not signed yet. The index is not my cost. My cost is the landed number on the SKU, and that number is made of five things: what I pay the factory, what I pay to move it, what I pay the customs authority on entry, what I pay to hold it between arrival and sale, and what I lose when it does not sell. Freight is one line out of five, and it is the only one that moves this fast, which is exactly why it ends up driving decisions it has no business driving on its own.

Which way the rate goes from here is Vivian Zhao's desk, not mine; she reads the filings and the surcharge notices every week and she is usually inside a week of the turn. What I own sits one step earlier: whether this cargo should move now at all, and what it does to my unit cost if it does. The report says importers are front-loading ahead of expected July tariff adjustments and World Cup-related shipments. Expected is doing a great deal of work in that sentence, and I want to take it apart properly, because the whole decision hangs on it.

Start by running the numbers backwards, because running them backwards is free. If 3,433 is 23 per cent above the week before, the week before was 3,433 divided by 1.23, which is roughly 2,791 dollars. Do the same on the two lanes I actually buy. Los Angeles at 4,565 after a 31 per cent move implies about 3,485 the previous week, a jump of roughly 1,080 dollars in seven days. Rotterdam at 3,579 after 25 per cent implies about 2,863, a jump of roughly 716. None of that is a forecast, it is just the same arithmetic read in the other direction, but it gives me something the headline does not: the cost of hesitating for one week on the Los Angeles lane was, last week, about 1,080 dollars a box.

Then the surcharges go on top. The notice is 300 to 500 dollars a TEU and 600 to 1,000 a FEU, effective 8 to 10 June. A TEU is a 20-foot box and a FEU is a 40-foot one, so those two figures are the same thing stated twice; for my purposes it is 600 to 1,000 dollars per 40-foot container, and it lands inside the very week in which I would be deciding whether to book. Put the two together and the marginal cost of one week of hesitation on the Transpacific is between 1,680 and 2,080 dollars a box. That is the figure I want on the table the next time someone says let us wait and see.

Only, waiting is not really my decision. My decision is pull forward or do not, and those are not the same calculation at all. If I pull forward, I pay freight at today's level, I pay the surcharge, and I hold the stock longer than I need it. If I do not, I pay whatever freight costs when I would normally ship, I probably avoid the surcharge if it has sunset by then, and I hold stock on my normal cycle. The gap between those two paths is three items: the surcharge, the carrying cost, and the freight differential. One of the three is knowable today, and it is not the biggest one.

Take the carrying cost first, because it is the item everybody leaves out and the one finance will actually hold me to. Assume a 40-foot container of home goods carries a goods value of 60,000 dollars; that is my assumption, put your own in. Assume carrying cost at 18 per cent a year, which is 1.5 per cent a month, covering capital, warehousing, insurance and a share of shrink. One month of carrying on 60,000 dollars is 900 dollars. Six weeks is 1,350. If front-loading puts stock on the ground four weeks before I need it, that is roughly 900 dollars a box I would not otherwise have spent, and it never appears on a freight invoice, which is precisely why it gets missed in the meeting.

Now add up what I actually know. Six hundred to 1,000 dollars of surcharge, plus about 900 dollars of carrying for a four-week pull-forward, gives me 1,500 to 1,900 dollars per 40-foot container of cost I can put a date on. The benefit on the other side is the tariff I am supposedly avoiding, and tariff is an ad valorem number, a percentage of goods value. So the break-even here is not a freight rate. It is a value threshold. On 60,000 dollars of goods, 1,900 dollars is 3.2 per cent. If the July adjustment turns out to be smaller than about three percentage points on my tariff lines, the pull-forward loses money on known costs alone, before I have even made the bet on where freight goes next. At five points I clear it with room. At ten points it is not a close call.

Here is the piece I think goes missing in most of these conversations, and it is the reason I would never run this as a blanket yes or no. Freight and the surcharge are charged per container. Tariff is charged on value. The same 1,900 dollars of known cost therefore buys a completely different benefit depending on what is inside the box. Divide 1,900 by the tariff delta and you have the goods value per container at which the pull-forward breaks even. At a five-point delta that is 38,000 dollars a container. At ten points it is 19,000. At two and a half points it is 76,000. Which means the right answer is almost never pull everything forward or pull nothing forward. It is: rank the SKUs by value per container and pull the top of the list. Dense, high-value goods go on the front-loaded boats. Bulky, low-value goods stay on the normal schedule no matter how loud the tariff rumour gets.

And then there is the asymmetry, which is the part that genuinely keeps me awake. The cost side is certain and it gets invoiced. I know the surcharge amount, I know the effective date, I can compute the carrying cost to the dollar. The benefit side is a rumour with a month attached to it. The report says expected July adjustments. Not enacted, not published, not dated. If the adjustment lands and my goods clear before it, I win the spread. If it slips into August, or lands narrower than the chatter suggests, or exempts my tariff lines, I have paid 1,500 to 1,900 dollars a box for nothing and filled my warehouse a month early into the bargain. I am not saying do not do it. I am saying price the certainty honestly: a certain cost set against a probable saving is a worse trade than it looks in a room where everybody is only talking about the saving.

There is a mechanical trap inside this as well, and I have watched people walk straight into it. A tariff change attaches to entry, not to loading. Pulling cargo forward only works if the goods actually enter before the date. And the front-loading itself is what is clogging the system: the report attributes the surge to importers moving cargo ahead of July, plus World Cup-related shipments, against a week with only three blank sailings. If my box misses the entry date by three days because the entire industry tried to pull forward in the same fortnight, I have paid peak freight, paid the surcharge, paid the carrying cost and still taken the tariff. That is the worst of the four possible outcomes and it is not a tail case. It is the ordinary result of everybody making the same decision at the same time.

Which brings me to the thing in this week's numbers that actually makes me uncomfortable. Three blank sailings on the Transpacific is a low number, and the report reads it as a signal of strong demand confidence. Carriers pull sailings when they expect soft demand; three means they expect to fill nearly everything. That is their business and I have no complaint with it. But look at what that says about the 23 per cent. If capacity is essentially fully deployed and the price still rose almost a quarter in a week, the pressure is coming from the demand side. And a good part of that demand is us. Importers front-loading. My competitors, my peers, and quite possibly another business unit inside my own company, all booking the same week. I am not bidding against a cartel here. I am bidding against my own industry's nerves, and the more convincing those nerves are, the more expensive my own hedge becomes.

So the decision rule I would write down is not a rate call. It is three filters, and a shipment has to clear all three before I move it early. Filter one: the expected tariff delta on that tariff line has to exceed the known cost expressed as a percentage of that box's goods value, which on my assumptions is about three points, and I want five before I commit real money. Filter two: the goods value per container has to clear the break-even line for that delta, which at five points is 38,000 dollars. Filter three: I need a landed arrival date I believe in, in writing, ahead of the tariff date, with enough margin that a week of slip does not kill it. Fail any one of the three and the shipment goes on the normal schedule and takes its chances.

What that means concretely, starting tomorrow. By 12 June I want one sheet, owned by the sourcing lead for each category, listing every SKU scheduled for Q3 arrival, ranked by goods value per 40-foot container, with the tariff line and the current duty rate in the next column. That sheet is the decision. Without it you are arguing about an index. By 13 June, finance signs off the carrying assumption in writing; 1.5 per cent a month is my working number, and if their number is different I want to know it before I book rather than after. Anything pulled forward by more than six weeks gets a second signature, because beyond six weeks the carrying cost starts competing with the tariff saving and the trade stops being obvious.

Then a cap, and this is the part people push back on. I do not pull forward more than about 60 per cent of Q3 volume, whatever the sheet says. The reason is the asymmetry above: the cost is certain, the benefit is not, and a hedge sized at 100 per cent is not a hedge, it is a directional bet with extra inventory bolted on. Sixty per cent covers the SKUs that clear the value threshold comfortably and leaves me 40 per cent of volume to release back to the normal schedule if July does not arrive. If the adjustment is confirmed and dated, I can move another 20 per cent on that confirmation. If it is not, I have not prepaid a month of warehousing on half my book for a saving that never came.

While that runs, there is contract work, and this is where I would rather spend my energy than refreshing an index. The surcharges effective 8 to 10 June are another increase in short order, and what I care about is not the amount, it is the mechanics. I want three clauses and I want them before the next round, not after it. A notice period, and I push for fifteen days, so I can re-run the landed cost before it lands rather than after. A stated basis on the same line: per TEU or per FEU, per booking or per container, and whether it applies to bookings made before the effective date or to sailings after it.

That last distinction is worth real money and it is almost never written down. And a sunset. A surcharge announced for a peak season should carry an expiry date and fall off without me having to ask. A surcharge that silently becomes part of the base rate is a permanent increase wearing a temporary costume.

On the negotiation itself, I want a number for what I am prepared to absorb. If surcharges at 600 to 1,000 dollars a box land three or four times in a year, that is 1,800 to 4,000 dollars per FEU on top of base freight. Set against the 2,791-dollar level the arithmetic puts the index at before this run began, that is somewhere between two thirds and one and a half times the entire base number, which is a shocking figure once you write it down. I will not negotiate that away entirely; carriers price to what the market will carry and I have no argument with the mechanism. What I go for is a cap on pass-through as a percentage of base ocean freight in any quarter, and a commitment that index-linked surcharges come down by the same formula when the index comes down. Symmetry is the ask. Most contracts only carry the ratchet.

Then push it down to the unit, because that is where the decision really lives. Assume a 40-foot container holds 1,200 units of my product; that is my assumption, use your own pack-out. A known cost of 1,900 dollars a box is 1.58 dollars a unit. That is the figure I take into the merchandising meeting, not 23 per cent and not 3,433. Some SKUs carry four dollars of contribution and absorb it without a conversation. Some carry two dollars and cannot. If I run blanket front-loading I am spending 1.58 dollars a unit on SKUs that will never earn it back, in order to protect SKUs that would have been fine anyway, and I would never know, because nobody did the division. So: units with contribution below roughly 2.5 dollars do not get pulled forward. That is a filter I can hand to a planner and they can run it without me in the room.

On the alternatives. Shifting the buy is the obvious one, and it is a seasonal-to-annual decision, not a June decision. Moving a category to another origin costs sampling, audit, tooling, a quality ramp and usually a season of yield loss; on the categories I buy I have never seen it land inside two quarters without somebody eating margin somewhere else. So I treat it as a hedge against next year, not as an answer to a 23 per cent week. What this week does change is the timing of that review: if the tariff delta is real and durable, the sourcing map for the following season has to be redrawn, and the earlier that work starts, the less of it has to be done in a surcharge week. Starting the review in June is cheap. Doing it in September, when the next peak is already booked, is not.

There is also the question of who pays, which is a procurement question and not a logistics one. On 1.58 dollars a unit, I have four places to put it: my margin, my price, my supplier, or my promotion depth. Going back to the factory is legitimate and it is the one people forget, because the conversation usually stops at the freight invoice. If the tariff is the reason the cargo has to move early, the supplier has an interest in the cargo landing at all, and a shared-cost clause tied to a published index is a normal thing to ask for. What I will not do is quietly absorb 1.58 dollars a unit across the whole range and discover it in the quarterly variance.

The traps, briefly, because they are all the same shape. Counting the freight but not the carrying cost. Counting the tariff saving as though it had been enacted. Assuming that booking early guarantees the entry date. Letting a temporary surcharge become a permanent base rate. Sizing the hedge at 100 per cent because the meeting got anxious. Treating a 23 per cent index move as a freight department problem, when it lands on my unit cost and my margin and the freight team has no P&L line to put it on. Somebody has to own the number, and if it is not procurement, it will be nobody.

If I were signing this off, here is the shape of it. I would pull forward roughly 60 per cent of Q3 volume, selected by value per container rather than by whoever shouted loudest, and I would leave 40 per cent on the normal schedule with a written trigger to release it or hold it. I would cap the earliness at about six weeks, because that is where the carrying cost starts eating the saving. I would get the arrival commitment in writing with a week of margin against the tariff date and book nothing that cannot clear it.

On the contract I would take fifteen days' notice, a stated basis and a sunset clause on every surcharge, and I would trade a slightly higher base rate for a symmetrical adjustment formula, because the base rate I can budget and the ratchet I cannot. And I would say out loud to my own team that 23 per cent in a week is partly us. That does not make it our fault. It does mean the most expensive thing on the table this month is the meeting where everyone agrees to do the same thing in the same week.

↑ Back to the key points

— By Grace Yang