Supply Chain Action Points
Read this first — the conclusion, and the moves to make:
- Decide your tariff bet before your next booking: if you think the threatened tariff lands, lock a contract now on as much of the lane as you can; if you think it fades, keep a spot portion open and let the rate cliff come to you.
- Split bookings instead of going all-in on one view: hold some contract and some spot so a wrong call costs you half the lane, not the whole thing.
- Pre-book space, not just rate, because in a front-load market the box that sails is the box booked early; a locked rate on no space is a receipt for nothing.
- Negotiate inside the quote band; a 5,200 to 6,200 West Coast spread means roughly 1,000 dollars of room is sitting on the table, and most importers leave it by panic-booking the first number.
- Anchor every quote to your quiet-season floor near 1,500 to 2,000 per FEU, not to last week's percentage, so you see the real dollar move hitting your margin.
- Watch the tariff announcement date, not the Hormuz transit count; the tariff decision is the boundary that flips hold versus ease, and the strait line on this lane is a decoy.
- Set a trigger at roughly 8 to 10 percent above your negotiated floor with the tariff threat still live; cross it and you lock the contract portion while keeping spot open.
Transpacific container rates spiked again in the week ending 29 June, with Asia-US West Coast rates reaching $5,200-6,200 per FEU and East Coast rates hitting $6,300-7,500 per FEU, according to Hellenic Shipping News. Drewry's Shanghai-Los Angeles index rose 12% and Shanghai-New York climbed 6% as importers front-load ahead of potential tariffs and peak-season surcharges. Vessel transits through the Strait of Hormuz increased amid the US-Iran ceasefire, though an attack on the Ever Lovely on 25 June kept insurance markets on edge.
The Analysis
Week ending 29 June, and the transpacific number is ugly again. Asia to US West Coast is quoted 5,200 to 6,200 dollars per FEU, East Coast 6,300 to 7,500. Drewry's Shanghai to Los Angeles index is up 12 percent on the week and Shanghai to New York up 6. I have stared at enough of these prints to know the wide spread inside a single quote, that 5,200 to 6,200 band, is itself the tell: when FAK rates vary a thousand dollars between carriers in the same week, the market is not calm, it is fragmented and the people setting the number are guessing.
Here is the part the headline got wrong before you even open the article. It links the surge to Hormuz, because Hormuz transits were rising on a ceasefire. Read that twice. Transits rising means the lane is safer, which would ease rates, not push them up. So the Hormuz line in this story is a red herring stuck on by the headline desk, not the cause. The cause is on the demand side, and it is sitting in your own warehouse.
My job is the number, so let me take the rate apart before I tell you whether to lock or wait. Show me the number, not the feeling, and this number has a problem the headline did not mention.
Put the four figures on the table before any interpretation, because the spread between them is the first fact. Asia to US West Coast, 5,200 to 6,200 dollars per FEU. Asia to US East Coast, 6,300 to 7,500. Drewry's Shanghai to Los Angeles composite up 12 percent week on week. Shanghai to New York up 6 percent. Two things jump out before you read a word of analysis. The West Coast band is a thousand dollars wide, and the East Coast band is even wider at 1,200. A market where one carrier quotes you 5,200 and the next quotes 6,200 for the same box in the same week is not a market with a price; it is a market with a negotiation, and right now you are the one with less chair.
Now take the base apart, because the 5,200 to 6,200 only scares you if you forget what normal looks like. On a calm transpacific, a West Coast FEU runs somewhere around 1,500 to 2,000 dollars. So this print is roughly three times the quiet-season floor. The 12 percent week-on-week jump on Shanghai to Los Angeles is steep but it is a jump off an already elevated base, which means the absolute dollars moved more than the percentage implies once you anchor it to the floor. When someone says 'up 12 percent' your ear hears a move; anchor it to 1,800 and you hear 700-plus dollars per box in a week. That is the number that hits your margin, not the percentage.
Why now, and why the demand side and not the lane. The article says importers are front-loading ahead of potential tariffs and peak-season surcharges. That is the real engine. Front-loading means pulling orders forward: instead of shipping in August or September, you ship in June and July to beat a tariff that may or may not land and to beat the peak-season space crunch that definitely lands. Every importer doing that at once pulls demand out of later months and crams it into now. Space tightens, carriers slot the early bookings first, and the rate climbs because the box you want to move is competing with everyone else's brought-forward box. None of that needs a tanker or a strait; it needs a calendar and a fear of a tariff.
That is also why the Hormuz mention is a decoy. Transits through Hormuz were rising on the US-Iran ceasefire, which is the calm-direction signal. The article even notes an attack on the Ever Lovely on 25 June kept insurance markets on edge, but transpacific boxes do not transit Hormuz, so the war-risk line on your Asia-US quote is close to zero. The rate move you are feeling is space and front-loading, full stop. If you let the headline talk you into a 'Hormuz surcharge' panic on a Los Angeles booking, you have paid a fear that has no line item on your invoice. The discipline again: separate the energy chart from your box rate, because only one of them is on your quote.
Layer who pays and how much, because a 12 percent index move lands differently on different desks. The big importers with annual contracts and allocated space feel the least: their base is locked, they may eat a peak-season surcharge on overflow but their core lane is sheltered. The mid-size importer riding a mix of contract and spot feels it hardest, because the spot portion is exactly the band that just widened to 6,200. The small seller booking pure spot is at the mercy of the 6,200 to 7,500 quote and the next GRI. The carrier feels it as full ships and pricing power, which is why they keep announcing the next increase. So the honest range is: contract-protected importers up maybe a peak surcharge of a few hundred dollars; spot importers up 2,000 to 3,000 dollars per FEU against the floor, which on a 40-FEU monthly lane is five figures a month of extra cash.
Timing is the part people get backwards. Front-loading borrows demand from the future. Every box you ship in June is a box you do not ship in September. So the rate is high now precisely because the later demand was pulled forward, and that means the later months are left thinner than usual. The surge is not a permanent step up; it is a hump, and humps fall on the far side. The question is not 'will rates fall' but 'when does the borrowed demand run out.' Carriers know this, which is why they are pushing GRIs and peak-season surcharges now while the window is open, and why the smart money locks before the hump, not after.
Here is the missed point, and it is the one you should act on. The headline frames this as a supply shock riding on a geopolitical line. It is not a supply shock at all. It is a demand pull, and a demand pull that is self-defeating: the more importers front-load to dodge a tariff, the more they tighten space and push the rate they were trying to dodge. You are bidding against your own fear. And because the demand is borrowed, the high rate is a borrowed high. The media wrote 'rates continue to surge' as if it were a one-way train. It is a one-way train only until the tariff deadline passes or the peak-season space loosens, at which point the front-loaded volume is gone and the rate has a cliff under it. That cliff is the part nobody put in the headline, and it is the part that decides whether you lock today or wait.
The second missed point is the spread itself. A 5,200 to 6,200 West Coast band is not just noise; it is a signal that carriers are pricing by gut because they cannot see the demand end either. In a market that fragmented, the worst thing you can do is accept the first quote as the market. The band means there is a 1,000-dollar negotiation sitting in front of you, and most importers leave it on the table because they panic-book the first number. The number with a thousand-dollar spread is a number with room, and room is the thing you negotiate, not the thing you pay.
The conclusion flips on one condition: the tariff decision. If the threatened tariff lands or is confirmed for a date ahead, front-loading continues, space stays tight, and rates hold or climb into the next GRI. If the tariff is delayed, narrowed, or cancelled, the reason to pull demand forward weakens, the borrowed volume slows, and rates ease back toward the 3,000 to 4,000 FEU range as space loosens. The boundary to watch is the tariff announcement date, not the Hormuz transit count. Below the tariff threat, the hump softens; above it, the hump hardens. Everything else is weather.
Put numbers on the lock-versus-wait call so it is not a feeling. Plain assumption, stated up front: you move 40 FEU a month on Asia to US West Coast. Your pre-surge norm, a stated assumption, is about 3,000 dollars per FEU; today's mid quote is 5,700; the top of the band is 6,200. Riding spot at 5,700 costs you 228,000 dollars a month in freight; against the 3,000 floor that is 108,000 dollars a month, roughly 90 percent above normal. If you lock a contract at 4,500 per FEU instead of riding spot to 6,200, you save 1,700 per FEU times 40, or 68,000 dollars a month.
Those are scenario figures built off the quoted band and a stated floor, not a rate sheet; I am showing the shape, not quoting. The arithmetic says: if you believe the tariff threat is real and the hump holds, locking under 5,000 beats riding; if you believe the tariff fades and the cliff comes, waiting beats locking. The bet is the tariff, not the carrier.
What to do depends on which side of that bet you are on, and you should decide before your next booking, not after. If your read is that the tariff lands, lock a contract now on as much of your lane as you can, and pre-book space rather than just rate, because in a front-load market the box that moves is the box that was booked early. If your read is that the tariff fades, do not chase the 6,200; ride a mix of spot and short contract and let the cliff come to you, but keep a floor booking so a late surge does not strand your must-ship volume. Either way, split your bookings instead of all-in on one bet: some contract, some spot, so you are wrong on half, not all.
Make the demand pull concrete with two importers on the same lane. Importer A reads the print and front-loads, pulling August and September volume into June and July, paying the 5,700 mid quote to be safe. Importer B holds, ships on schedule, and rides the cliff. If the tariff lands, A looks smart: B pays 6,200 or more into the autumn while A is already delivered. If the tariff fades, B looks smart: A paid 5,700 for boxes B later ships at 3,500, and A's warehouse is stuffed with stock it is now financing at a cost A did not need to pay. Same print, opposite outcomes, and the only variable was the tariff date neither of them controls. That is why the split-booking answer beats either pure move; you are not paid to be a tariff forecaster, you are paid to not be fully wrong.
Know the two surcharge animals so you are not surprised by the line items. The general rate increase, the GRI, is the carrier resetting the base rate, and it is the big one; the peak-season surcharge, the PSS, is a layer on top for the busy months, and on this lane the article flags both as live. A PSS of a few hundred dollars on top of a GRI is normal at peak; what is not normal is a PSS arriving in June because everyone front-loaded early and the space tightened before the season. When the PSS shows up ahead of the season, that is the fingerprint of borrowing demand, and it is your signal that the hump is self-inflicted, not weather. Read the surcharge name, not just the number.
Work the spread with a real haggle rather than a panic click. A 5,200 to 6,200 West Coast band means carrier one will take 5,200 and carrier two wants 6,200 for the same box in the same week. Call carrier two and show the 5,200; in a fragmented market the second quote moves, because they are guessing too and they would rather fill the slot than watch it sail empty. Even capturing half the spread, say landing at 5,700 instead of 6,200, on 40 FEU is 20,000 dollars a month you did not pay, and that is before any lock decision. The number with a thousand-dollar spread is an invitation to negotiate, and most importers leave the money on the table because the headline made them flinch.
Understand why the space is tight enough to price this way. Carriers did not add a lot of capacity this cycle; they kept a discipline on blank sailings and network slots, so when demand got pulled forward all at once, the spare slots were thin and the rate did the rationing. That is the supply-side half of the story, and it matters: a tight network means the cliff, when it comes, is sharper, because the same disciplined capacity that pushed rates up will also mean empty slots appear fast once the borrowed volume drains. The carrier is not your enemy here; the carrier is also riding the same uncertain demand and pricing by gut, which is exactly why your floor and your tariff date beat their index.
Picture the cliff in numbers so it is not a word. Suppose the front-loaded volume is, say, six weeks of brought-forward boxes sitting in June and July. When the tariff threat fades or the season's real volume proves thinner than the panic assumed, those six weeks of demand are simply gone from August and September. Rates that were 5,700 drift back toward the 3,000 to 4,000 range as slots open. The drop is not gentle; it is the mirror of the climb, because the climb was borrowed. A buyer who locked at 5,500 for the autumn sits above a market at 3,500 and watches the saving evaporate. That is the specific loss the cliff creates, and it is why the wait has a real payoff if your tariff read is right.
Structure the contract so the bet is cheap either way. Ask for allocated space at a base plus an indexed surcharge with a ceiling, rather than a flat all-in at the top of the band. Allocated space is the part that protects you when the hump hardens; the indexed ceiling is the part that protects you when it softens and the carrier tries to keep the surcharge anyway. A 40-FEU lane on a base of 3,000 with a ceiling at, say, 4,500 and allocated slots costs you at most 180,000 a month even if the carrier pushes, and leaves the spot portion free to ride the cliff. That structure is the practical version of the split-booking answer, and it is what I tell customers to ask for before the next GRI lands.
Watch the weekly index the way a pilot watches the fuel gauge, not the way a passenger watches the movie. When Drewry's Shanghai to Los Angeles print flattens or ticks down while the headline still shouts surge, that is your earliest tell that the borrowed demand is running out and the cliff is forming underneath the noise. The index lags the booking by a week or two, so a flattening print in early July is the front-loaded volume thinning in mid June; the signal is early if you read it right, and late if you wait for it to fall hard.
Most importers wait for the index to drop before they act, by which point the cheap slots are already gone and the wait has cost them the saving. The gauge tells you before the screen does. The habit worth building is to check it every week and mark the week it stops climbing, because that week is when the wait starts paying and when the lock-everything panic flips from reasonable to expensive. A flattening print is not a forecast; it is a fact about last week's bookings, and last week's bookings are the only thing that actually moves your rate.
The trap is the all-or-nothing panic the headline invites. Locking everything at 6,200 because 'rates continue to surge' is the move that loses twice: you pay the top, and you miss the cliff. Waiting on everything because 'it is a borrowed high' is the move that loses if the tariff lands and the hump hardens into a plateau. The line I give customers: once the combined rate crosses roughly 8 to 10 percent above your negotiated floor and the tariff threat is still live, lock the contract portion and keep a spot portion open. The line to watch is not the index print; it is your own floor and the tariff date. Those two numbers tell you more than Drewry's weekly percentage ever will, and they are the only ones with your margin on them.
↑ Back to the key points