Container rates on China-to-Gulf lanes pushed past $10,000 per box as restricted Hormuz traffic forces alternative routing. Xeneta put China-Jeddah spot at $10,870 per 40ft on 10 September, up 256% from 28 February, and China-Khor Fakkan at $10,626, up 479%. A Qingdao-Umm Qasr 20ft quote ran $10,695-$11,141, while Shanghai-Umm Qasr 40ft reached $12,652. Maersk added emergency freight of $1,800 per 20ft and $3,000 per 40ft plus $1,000 per box.
Supply Chain Action Points
China to Gulf container rates are through 10,000 dollars a box. Xeneta put China to Jeddah spot at 10,870 dollars per 40 foot on 10 September, up 256 percent from 28 February. China to Khor Fakkan came in at 10,626 dollars, up 479 percent over the same window. A Qingdao to Umm Qasr 20 foot quote ran between 10,695 and 11,141 dollars, and Shanghai to Umm Qasr on a 40 foot touched 12,652 dollars.
The reason is not demand. The reason is Hormuz. On 21 September only two commodity vessels passed through the strait. Before the conflict, the daily average was 125.
Maersk has put an emergency freight charge on Iraq, Saudi and other Gulf cargo, 1,800 dollars per 20 foot, 3,000 dollars per 40 foot, and another 1,000 dollars per box for every box that transits Hormuz.
I have moved project and consumer cargo into Iraq and Saudi for years, and I will say this plainly. This is not a rate spike you wait out like a peak season bump. This is a market where the shipping capacity itself is being rationed, and when capacity is rationed, price is just the symptom. So let me talk about what I would do with live Gulf orders this week.
Start with what the number actually represents, because 10,000 dollars a box distorts the decision. If China to Jeddah spot went from roughly 3,050 dollars on 28 February to 10,870 dollars on 10 September, that is a 256 percent increase in seven months. Let me be explicit about where the 3,050 comes from: it is the 10,870 figure divided by 3.56, which is what a 256 percent increase implies, so the February base is about 3,050 dollars per 40 foot. If you were budgeting Gulf landings on February rates, every assumption in that budget is now wrong. The box itself costs more than three times what it did, and for a low-value commodity, the freight can now exceed the goods value. That is the point where a shipment stops being expensive and starts being uneconomic.
Now add the surcharge stack on top, because this is where I see people get caught. A 40 foot box to Iraq via Umm Qasr at 12,652 dollars, plus Maersk's emergency freight of 3,000 dollars per 40 foot, plus another 1,000 dollars per box for the Hormuz transit, lands you at roughly 16,650 dollars before you have paid for anything on the ground. Let me be clear that is my arithmetic on the published components and it assumes the surcharge applies on top of the base rather than being included, which is how an emergency freight charge normally works. The 256 percent figure is on the freight rate, not on the total landed invoice, and the difference between those two numbers is where quotes go wrong.
Run it as a per-unit calculation, because that is the only version that tells you whether to ship. Assume a container holds 1,000 units at 15 dollars a unit, so 15,000 dollars of goods. At February rates around 3,050 dollars plus nominal surcharges, freight is roughly 20 percent of goods value. At 16,650 dollars all in, freight is 111 percent of goods value. Suddenly the customer in Basra is paying more for the shipping than for the product. For high-value electronics or project equipment this is survivable, because 60,000 dollars of goods absorbing 16,650 dollars of freight is 28 percent and you can argue about margin. For low-value construction materials or packaged consumer goods, this is not a pricing conversation, this is a decision to stop shipping altogether and source elsewhere.
That is exactly what I would tell a client this week, and I would do it by product line rather than by blanket policy. Anything under roughly 30 dollars a unit going to Iraq or the Gulf is, on my numbers, no longer a business you can serve by ocean from China. I would either find a regional source in Turkey, Jordan, the UAE or India, or I would raise the price to the customer and accept that some of the volume goes away. Both of those are better than shipping at a loss for two quarters and calling it market share.
Now, on the surcharge mechanics, because there is real money in getting this right. The emergency freight is charged per box, and the Hormuz component is charged per box that transits. So the surcharge cost scales with the number of boxes, not with the value. That means consolidation is no longer just an efficiency play, it is a direct saving. If you can take a shipment that was going as 20 twenty-foot boxes and put it into 10 forty-foot boxes, you save the per-box emergency freight on half the boxes and the same proportion on the per-box Hormuz charge. Assume you save 1,800 dollars plus 1,000 dollars of per-box charges on each of the 10 boxes you eliminate, that is 28,000 dollars on a single shipment. Against a 12,652 dollar base rate per box, that saving is enormous relative to the freight bill. I want to flag the obvious catch, which is that you can only consolidate if the goods are compatible, the destination handling can take a mixed load, and your customer's warehouse can break it. Do not force a consolidation that adds three days of sorting and one damage claim.
Then there is the routing question, and this is where I would spend my time this week. Restricted Hormuz traffic forces alternative routing. Alternative routing into the Gulf generally means a sea leg to a hub outside the strait and then a feeder or road leg in. Every one of those handovers is a place where cargo gets delayed or damaged and where the liability shifts. The rate that gets quoted to you for the alternative route is a port to port number, and the piece nobody prices for you is the transfer at the hub and the inland leg to the final destination. I have seen this go wrong on a project cargo move where the quote covered the ocean and the actual cost included a second handling and a week waiting for the feeder connection. If you are taking an alternative route, ask what happens to the cargo between the main line discharge and the final delivery, in writing, and ask who is liable at each handover point.
There is a second thing about alternative routing that nobody mentions in the quote and everybody pays for at the destination. When cargo moves through an extra hub, the container gets handled an extra time, and every extra handling is a chance for damage to a box that you are also paying per diem on. If the box is damaged, it comes out of the pool, and the pool is short, and the next booking gets rolled. I have had a client spend a month chasing an equipment problem that started with one damaged container at a transhipment hub. The freight saving on the alternative route looked great until the equipment position at the origin went short.
Let me also be honest about what I do not know, because in a situation like this pretending certainty is how you get hurt. I do not know when the transit picture changes. I do not know whether the emergency freight charge will be withdrawn or converted into a scheduled surcharge. I do not know whether the alternative routing capacity can absorb the volume if it truly becomes the main route, because a hub that handles a trickle is not automatically a hub that handles a flood. What I do know is that all three of those uncertainties resolve in the direction of cost, not in the direction of savings. That is why I am planning on the worst of the three rather than the middle.
On the customer side, I want to say something about how to have the conversation, because it matters more than the arithmetic. If you walk into a customer meeting and say rates went up, you get a negotiation about rates. If you walk in with the cost of goods, the freight, the surcharge stack, the demurrage allowance and the two or three sourcing alternatives you have already priced, you get a conversation about how to keep serving that market. Customers do not actually want the cheapest freight, they want the supply to keep working. The supplier who shows up with a plan and a number gets treated very differently from the supplier who shows up with a complaint, and I have learned that the hard way over the years.
There is one specific trap in these markets that I want to name, and it is the annual contract. If you signed an annual contract for Gulf volume earlier this year, when rates were in a different world, you may be sitting on a contract that the carrier will try to exit or reprice through the surcharge mechanism. They cannot necessarily break the base rate, but they can put a charge on top that makes the contract meaningless. Read your contract now for how surcharges are addressed, and specifically whether emergency or contingency surcharges are excluded from any rate protection language. If they are not excluded, the protection is thinner than you thought. I would start that conversation with the carrier this month rather than waiting for the first disputed invoice, because once the cargo is on the water your leverage is gone.
For the shippers who genuinely cannot change sourcing and cannot pay a 111 percent freight bill, there is a middle path worth pricing. Break the shipment into a small air or expedited portion that protects the customer relationship and the critical line, and a larger slow portion that goes by sea to a hub and then by road, and be transparent with the customer that the slow portion will arrive late. A customer who gets a partial delivery on time and a balance two weeks later is usually a retained customer. A customer who gets nothing on time is a lost customer. That split is not elegant and it is not cheap, but in a 10,000 dollar rate environment, staying in the market with a degraded service is often worth more than exiting it cleanly.
And I would build in a review point rather than leaving this open. I would set a date, say the end of October, and on that date I would re-check three things: the number of vessels transiting Hormuz, whether the emergency freight charge has been renewed or withdrawn, and whether my alternative routing costs have stabilised. If the transit number is still at two or three vessels a day and the surcharge is still live, I would not re-open the sourcing question, I would keep the plan. If transit volumes come back above, say, 20 vessels a day and the surcharge is withdrawn, I would revisit whether the products I dropped can come back to ocean. Fixed review dates stop you from making decisions emotionally in either direction, and in a market this volatile, the discipline is worth more than the forecast.
There is also an insurance conversation you must have, and it is not optional. A war risk area designation changes your premium and it can change your cover. If your cargo is moving through a designated area and your policy treats that area differently, then the quote your forwarder gave you for insurance may be priced on a route you are no longer taking, or a route you should not be taking on that cover. I would get the war risk loading quoted explicitly, per shipment, for the actual port pair, and I would not accept a generic certificate that names an old route. If the war risk loading is 0.2 percent of a 60,000 dollar consignment, that is 120 dollars, which is trivial. If your cover excludes the area entirely and nobody told you, the exposure is the whole consignment, which is 60,000 dollars, which is not trivial at all.
While you are in the insurance file, check the general average and salvage position, because a chokepoint area with restricted traffic is exactly where those clauses stop being theoretical. General average is the one that surprises people, because it can apply even when your own cargo is undamaged. If a vessel has to take avoiding action or a salvage operation is initiated, cargo owners can be asked to contribute before their goods are released, and the contribution is calculated on the value of the cargo, not on the freight paid. I have seen a small consignment held at a discharge port for weeks over a general average bond that nobody in the buying department had ever heard of. The fix is not complicated, it is just a conversation with your broker about whether you have the right bond facility in place before you need it, and that conversation costs nothing today.
Let me also say something about the people side, because it is easy to talk about boxes and forget that a rate like this lands on someone's desk as a personal problem. The person who booked that Gulf shipment at February prices is now looking at a variance that wipes out their quarterly number. I have been that person. What helps is not optimism, it is a documented, timelined, quantified explanation that shows you saw it, priced it, and made a decision. Finance will argue with a forecast and they will rarely argue with a record. So keep the alternative quotes, keep the war risk quote, keep the free time negotiation, and keep them in one place, because when the quarter closes and someone asks why Gulf cost tripled, the person with the file wins the argument and the person with the rate sheet does not.
For the buyers among you, I would also look at whether there is a straightforward substitution inside your own product range. If a Gulf customer buys a mid-value item that has a cheaper variant with the same function, moving them to the cheaper variant may bring the freight back inside a workable percentage of goods value without changing suppliers at all. That is a conversation your sales team can have this week, and it is often faster than sourcing in a new country.
On timing, here is my read and I will be honest that it is a read, not a forecast. Two vessels a day through Hormuz against a pre-conflict 125 is a 98.4 percent reduction. That is not a market that normalises itself on a rate cycle, because the constraint is not price, it is physical capacity through a chokepoint. Until the transit picture changes, I would assume rates stay at or above these levels and I would plan my quarter on that basis. Assume four more weeks of this at a minimum, and plan the whole quarter around it, then treat any improvement as upside. Planning on hope and getting the rate cut is a small win. Planning on hope and not getting it is a customer you cannot serve and a penalty clause you have to pay.
For anything with a contractual delivery date, I would not commit to a Gulf delivery schedule by ocean right now. I would go to the customer and renegotiate the delivery mechanism rather than the delivery date. Air freight on the small high-value end, sea to an alternative hub plus road for the mid-range, and a sourcing change for the low-value end. If you have a penalty clause on a fixed date, the penalty on one late project shipment can exceed the entire freight saving of a year of smart routing, so it is worth paying a premium to hit the date if the date is real. And I would tell the customer what changed and why, with the numbers, because a customer who understands that the freight is now 111 percent of goods value will usually accept a sourcing change, where a customer who just gets a price increase will go looking for another supplier.
One last practical item that saves real cash. Demurrage and detention at Gulf ports under these conditions is brutal, because feeders are congested and inland transport is disrupted. If your box gets discharged and then waits a week for a feeder connection, that wait can be billed to you even though you did nothing wrong. I would negotiate free time at the Gulf end explicitly, in writing, before the shipment, and I would set my demurrage budget off the worst case rather than the standard case. Assume five extra days at 200 dollars a day per box on 10 boxes, that is 10,000 dollars that is not in the freight rate at all and it will still appear on your invoice. The freight quote is not your cost. The freight quote is where your cost starts.
- Re-price every live Iraq and Gulf order by product line before 6 October, and stop shipping any line under roughly 30 dollars a unit by ocean because freight now exceeds goods value on my numbers.
- Get a broken-out quote for every Gulf booking: base rate plus emergency freight per box plus the 1,000 dollar Hormuz charge, and stop accepting an all-in number you cannot decompose.
- Consolidate 20 twenty-foot boxes into 10 forty-foot boxes where goods permit, to save the per-box charges twice over, roughly 28,000 dollars on that single shipment by my arithmetic.
- Get war risk loading quoted explicitly per shipment for the actual port pair, and reject any certificate that names a route you are no longer taking.
- Confirm with the customer, in writing, what happens to liability at each handover on any alternative hub-and-feed routing before the first box moves.
- Only commit to a contractual Gulf delivery date if air or an alternative hub plus road can hit it, and budget five extra days of Gulf free time at 200 dollars a box per day for 10 boxes, 10,000 dollars, as a cost line.