The Shanghai Containerized Freight Index slipped 1.21 points, or 0.03%, to 3,686.62 in the week to 25 September, ending an eight-week run of gains with all four main deep-sea lanes lower. Far East-US West fell $97 to $7,463 per FEU (-1.28%), US East dropped $82 to $10,497 (-0.77%), Europe lost $112 to $2,313 per TEU (-4.61%) and the Mediterranean eased $60 to $3,065 (-1.92%). Pre-holiday cargo has peaked, yet US lanes should hold firm into late October on blank sailings and port congestion.
Supply Chain Action Points
The Shanghai Containerized Freight Index closed the week to 25 September at 3,686.62, down 1.21 points or 0.03 percent. Sounds like nothing. It is not nothing, because it broke an eight week run of gains, and all four main deep sea lanes came down together.
The detail matters more than the headline. Far East to US West fell 97 dollars to 7,463 per FEU, which is a container of roughly forty feet. US East dropped 82 to 10,497, Europe lost 112 to 2,313 per TEU, a twenty foot equivalent, and the Mediterranean eased 60 to 3,065.
I have shipped through enough Golden Weeks to know what a number like this means on the ground. The index tells you what the market did last week. It does not tell you what to do next week. So let me walk through what I would actually do with my own bookings, and where I think the real risk sits for anyone with cargo moving in October.
Let me start with the part that gets misread. A 0.03 percent drop is the index running out of buyers, not the market falling apart. Eight weeks of rising rates means the people who had to ship before the holiday already shipped. What is left on the quay in the last days of September is the cargo that could wait, and cargo that could wait does not pay a premium. So the spot market softened, and the four main lanes all printed red in the same week, which tells me the peak has passed on the demand side. That is not a crash signal. It is a signal that the urgency premium is gone.
Now here is where I would be careful. A weaker spot rate is not the same as a cheaper invoice for you. The carriers are not standing still. Blank sailings are being pulled, slow steaming is still on the table, and the ports are congested, which is the part most importers miss. When a terminal is backed up, your container sits, and while it sits you are paying demurrage and losing shelf time even though the freight rate on paper went down 97 dollars. Two things can be true at once: the rate is softer and your landed cost is not.
Let me put real numbers on this, because the abstract version never convinces anyone. Assume you ship 40 FEU a month from Shanghai to Los Angeles. The US West rate fell 97 dollars per FEU, so on paper you save 3,880 dollars a month, about 46,560 dollars a year. That looks like a win. Now assume the terminal gate is running four to seven days instead of one, and you have 8 containers caught in that window at 150 dollars a day demurrage. Over four extra days that is 4,800 dollars, and it wipes out the 3,880 dollar saving and then some. The rate move is real, but it is not the biggest number on your page this month. I have watched importers celebrate a rate drop while quietly bleeding the same money back through detention and lost sales. Detention and lost sales never show up on a rate sheet. They show up at month end, when you are explaining to finance why the volume is flat and the cost went up.
Think about why the gate goes from one day to four to seven. The west coast terminals have been through years of automation and yard rework, and effective yard space has shrunk. Add a pre holiday surge, and import boxes come off the ship with nowhere to land, so they wait for trucks to move them. Trucking is not loose either. Peak season drays book out several days ahead, and if you cannot get a slot you sit. So if you are only arranging pickup this week, do not ask the terminal when it will release the box. Ask your drayage provider whether it has capacity next Wednesday. If it does not, the terminal releasing your box does not help you.
On the capacity side, watch the cuts rather than the rate. Carriers have been announcing blank sailings into the October program, and each one removes a fixed slice of capacity from a lane. A 1.21 point index move looks like the market is deciding, when really a handful of carriers decided weeks ago and the index is only now catching up. That matters to you because capacity decisions run ahead of rate decisions, and the capacity decision for early October has already been made. If your cargo is on a sailing that gets blanked, your rate is protected and your schedule is not.
There is a second layer to this that people get wrong. Blank sailings are not evenly spread. Carriers pull capacity from the lane where they think they can hold price without losing too much volume, so the lane with the worst roll rate is often not the lane with the worst rate. If you only watch the index, you see an average. If you plan by the index, you are planning against the average, and your lane is never the average. I keep a simple sheet with the last three weeks of my own roll experience by carrier and by lane, and it has been more useful to me than any published index, because it tells me who is actually cutting and who is only talking about it.
On the Europe lane the story is different and worse. Europe fell 112 dollars per TEU, which is a 4.61 percent drop, by far the sharpest of the four. That is not a soft landing, that is a lane repricing. If you move 60 TEU a month to Europe, that rate cut is worth 6,720 dollars monthly, roughly 80,640 dollars a year in your favour. Take it, but take it knowing the lane is soft and the next blank sailing will not be aimed at saving you, it will be aimed at holding the rate up. Carriers protect the lanes that hurt, and Europe just told them it hurts. The Mediterranean moved much less, down 60 dollars or 1.92 percent, which says the Med book is steadier. If your cargo can go either to a northern European main port or into the Med, lean Med right now for reliability, but do not expect much negotiating room on a lane that barely moved.
So what do I do with this in the last week of September. I would not chase the bottom on spot because there is no bottom to chase here, the index dropped 1.21 points, which is noise. What I would do is start moving on the lanes where the calendar is working against me. The US lanes are expected to hold firm into late October because of the blank sailings and congestion, which means the window where I could have gotten a softer rate has basically closed for anything sailing in the next three weeks. If I have cargo that must be in the US before mid November, I book it now and I stop waiting for a dip that the carriers have already decided will not happen.
There is a discipline point in that. Everyone in this business says they will wait for the rate to come down, and then they wait until the only sailings left are the expensive ones. The carriers know the pattern better than you do, because they set the pattern. When you see a lane holding firm into late October on blank sailings and congestion, the market is telling you the floor is already in. Waiting past that point is not patience, it is paying full price for the privilege of being late. I would rather book early at a rate I can defend to my finance team than explain a rush booking in the third week of October.
For Europe I would do the opposite. That lane is soft on a 4.61 percent weekly drop, and Golden Week empties the booking book, which usually forces carriers to chase volume again in the second half of October. If my Europe cargo is not urgent, I wait until the week of 5 October and I renegotiate, because a lane that just lost 112 dollars per TEU is a lane where I have a conversation to have. The trick is to have it before the lane tightens again, because the same blank sailing logic that protects US rates can show up on Europe the moment the carriers think they have given enough.
Here is the trap I want to flag, because I have stepped in it. Blank sailings do not show up as a rate problem, they show up as a rolled booking problem. A carrier cancels a sailing to protect the rate, and your container gets rolled to the next vessel, and the rate you so carefully locked stays the same while your delivery date moves a week. So when I book US West this week I am asking one specific question: what is the roll probability on this sailing. If the answer is anything above a shrug, I add a week to my promised date before I confirm anything with my customer. I would also ask whether the rate confirmation carries a space guarantee or a space subject to equipment and vessel availability clause, because those two sentences look the same and behave completely differently when the boxes start getting cut.
The other trap is the equipment question. A softer rate does not mean equipment is easy to get, and in a pre holiday week the empty pool can tighten without any rate signal at all. If you need reefers or 45 foot high cubes, or if your cargo has to move in a specific container type, confirm the equipment before you confirm the booking, because being held for equipment is a delay that no rate negotiation will fix. I have had a customer argue a rate down and then watch the cargo miss the vessel because the right box was not in the yard. The rate win was real and the schedule loss was bigger.
One more thing on the congestion side. Port congestion and slow steaming are exactly why the US lane holds to late October, but they are also the reason your landed cost does not match your freight quote. If I am negotiating with a customer right now, I would quote a landed number that includes a demurrage and detention allowance, not a clean door to door number that assumes a terminal behaves. I would rather build in 200 dollars per container of ugly and hand some back than explain a surprise invoice in November. Slow steaming is worth a mention too, because a slower service adds a day or two of transit that your customer will feel, and it is the carrier's cheapest tool right now, so expect to see more of it rather than less.
And a note on inventory. This is the week where the rate signal and the calendar signal disagree. Rates are flat to down, which usually argues for waiting. But the calendar argues the other way, because the next real question is whether the December peak restocking runs into the same congestion. If your replenishment cycle lands in late November, you are lining up against everyone else who also waited. I would pull forward anything with a November in store date to an October sailing, even at a slightly worse rate, because arriving two weeks late during peak costs more than a 97 dollar rate difference ever will. The other option is to split the order, take the bulk by ocean at whatever the October rate is, and cover the gap with air for the fastest movers, which I would price before deciding because air on that lane is its own conversation this year.
Let me put a number on the cost of being late, because that is the argument that wins the internal meeting. Assume your product sells at 30 dollars a unit and you move 20,000 units a month, so 600,000 dollars of revenue. If a two week delay costs you 8 percent of a month's sell through, that is 48,000 dollars of revenue shifted or lost, and the margin on it is maybe 12,000 dollars. Compare that to a 97 dollar per FEU rate difference across 40 containers, which is 3,880 dollars. The rate difference is a third of the delay cost and it is the number everyone wants to argue about. I have sat in the meeting where we spent an hour on the freight line and five minutes on the in store date, and we got the priority backwards.
On the compliance and documentation side, the Golden Week window has its own small traps. Chinese customs and the port authorities work on a different schedule over the holiday, so a certificate that would normally come back in a day can take three or four. If your shipment needs an inspection or a licence verification, and you leave it to the last week of September, you are relying on a queue that is about to get a lot longer. I would get every document that has to clear before the vessel sails into the hands of the broker this week, not next, because the paperwork delay is the one delay you can fully control and the one people most often leave to chance.
There are three alternative moves available to you this month and each one costs something. You can shift a booking from a congested terminal to a less crowded one in the same port complex, which usually buys you two or three days at the gate but adds inland drayage and a new set of gate hours to learn. You can move cargo from ocean to air on the portion that has to hit a date, which protects the schedule and multiplies the freight cost, so it only makes sense for the highest value or highest margin lines. Or you can leave the routing alone and simply hold more stock, which is the cheapest to execute and the most expensive to carry, because working capital sits in a warehouse instead of a bank. I would not pick one of those for everything. I would split the book, air the twenty percent that carries the margin, keep ocean for the eighty percent that can absorb a week, and use the terminal shift only where the dray cost is already inside my rate.
Let me end with how I read the index from here. The 0.03 percent move is the market flattening, not softening. Rates going from fast rise to high plateau is a different animal than a slide, and the support under the plateau is real, namely blank sailings, congestion and slow steaming, with the first of those three doing the heaviest lifting. So I would not bet on a big fall before the end of October on the US lanes, and I would take my Europe savings while the lane is in the mood to give them. Then I would recheck in the second week of October, after the holiday bookings clear and the carriers show their hand on the November program. If the index prints a second flat or slightly negative week with congestion still high, that is not a buying opportunity, that is the plateau holding, and I would stop waiting and start shipping. If instead the index gives back a hundred points while congestion eases and blank sailings stop, that is a real softening and I would hold my spot cargo and let it come to me. Writing as Leo, after too many Octobers spent explaining a roll to a customer who did not want to hear it.
- Book any US West or US East cargo that must arrive before mid November now, and stop waiting for a spot dip the carriers have already closed off through blank sailings.
- Treat the 97 dollar per FEU US West cut as noise until demurrage is netted out; assume 150 dollars per container per day and do not count the saving until the terminal clears in four days or less.
- Take the Europe saving, 112 dollars per TEU or 4.61 percent, on non urgent cargo, then renegotiate around 5 October when the holiday window empties the booking book.
- Ask your carrier for the roll probability on every US sailing booked this week and add a full week to any customer date where the answer is vague.
- Quote customers a landed number that carries a 200 dollar per container demurrage and detention allowance through October, rather than a clean port to door figure.
- Pull forward anything with a November in store date to an October sailing, even at a slightly worse rate, before peak restocking meets the same congestion.