← ← Back to Supply Chain Review Ocean Freight

Transpacific spot hits $8,217/FEU as 1.1m TEU backs up after typhoons

Source: Phaata · 2026-10-01
Summary

Phaata's Week 39 update shows Drewry's WCI eased 0.71% to US$4,468/FEU, yet trans-Pacific spot kept climbing as Asia-North America rose 2.29% week-on-week to US$8,217/FEU, up 13.40% month-on-month. Typhoons left about 1.1 million TEU backed up at Ningbo, Shanghai and Yantian, while US September imports are seen at 2.31 million TEU, up 9.6% year-on-year. With LA-LB rail dwell near 6.75 days, shippers should pre-book space and build buffer before Golden Week.

Supply Chain Action Points

The trans-Pacific just threw a number that should make any importer sit up: Drewry's spot to North America rose 2.29 percent week on week to US$8,217 per FEU, and that is 13.40 percent above where it was a month ago. Behind that print is roughly 1.1 million TEU of cargo backed up at Ningbo, Shanghai and Yantian after the typhoons.

When a lane jumps double digits in a month and the ports are still clearing a million-TEU queue, the question is not whether it costs more, it is whether your box is even on a ship. That is the part I would worry about first.

The trans-Pacific headline this week is a spot rate of US$8,217 per FEU to North America, up 2.29 percent week on week and 13.40 percent month on month, and the context behind it is a backlog of about 1.1 million TEU sitting at Ningbo, Shanghai and Yantian after the typhoons rolled through. FEU here means Forty-foot Equivalent Unit, the standard count for a 40-foot box, so when I say 1.1 million TEU I mean the equivalent of roughly 550,000 forty-foot boxes waiting to move. Drewry's broader World Container Index slipped only 0.71 percent to US$4,468 per FEU in the same week, which tells you this is a trans-Pacific problem, not a worldwide one, and the pain is concentrated on the Asia to North America leg.

Let me be clear about what the backlog actually is. The typhoons did not sink cargo, they pushed sailings and closed terminals, so a stack of boxes that should have sailed in a steady stream is now a lump that wants to leave all at once. When a million-TEU lump hits three gateway ports at the same time, the terminals clog, the rail gets congested, and the ships that do call arrive already full from the prior week's spillover. I have stood on this side of a typhoon recovery before, and the first ten days after the terminals reopen are always the worst, because everyone thinks they are the priority and the queue does not care whose PO is urgent.

The demand side is what makes this dangerous rather than just annoying. US September imports came in around 2.31 million TEU, up 9.6 percent year on year, so the lane was already busy before the weather hit. When you add a 9.6 percent busier market to a 1.1 million TEU weather delay, you get a squeeze where the rate climbs because there is simply less slot per box than the shippers want. The 13.40 percent month-on-month move is the market pricing that scarcity, and on a lane this size a double-digit monthly climb is the kind of thing that forces a re-quote the moment it hits your open orders.

Los Angeles and Long Beach rail dwell is running about 6.75 days, which is the number I would watch as the hidden tax on this whole event. A box that sits on a rail car for nearly a week after discharge is a box whose inventory you cannot sell, and if your destination is Chicago or Dallas that dwell adds straight onto your lead time. The dwell is a symptom of the same congestion: more boxes arriving than the inland network can absorb, because the port cleared the queue faster than the rails could. I would treat 6.75 days as the new floor for planning, not the old four-day assumption, until the backlog burns off.

Now the worked example, with the assumption spelled out. Suppose you move thirty FEU a month from Yantian to Los Angeles, a normal mid-size program. At a pre-spike reference of roughly US$7,000 per FEU, your monthly ocean freight is about US$210,000. At the current US$8,217 that is US$246,510, a gap of about US$36,510 a month, or roughly US$438,000 across a year. And that is before you count the cost of a box stuck an extra two or three days at the terminal or on rail, which at a typical US landside cost of, say, US$80 per FEU per day of dwell is another few hundred dollars a box. The US$7,000 reference is my estimate of where the lane sat a month ago, not a published Drewry figure for that exact date, so read the gap as illustrative.

So what do you do while the queue is still there. The first practical step is to get your bookings in early and confirmed, not estimated. When space is tight the carriers allocate to the shippers who committed first and whose paperwork is clean, so a booking you filed late last week is behind a booking a competitor filed the moment terminals reopened. I would pull every open PO this week, rank them by must-sail date, and file the top tier today rather than waiting for the forwarder to call you. The owner of this is your ocean coordinator, and the task is due by close of business Wednesday.

Next, stop quoting customers on the old transit assumption. With 6.75-day rail dwell and terminal clog, your real door-to-door is longer than the brochure, and a late delivery erodes trust faster than a high freight line. I would add five to seven days of buffer to every trans-Pacific quote issued from now until the backlog clears, and I would tell the customer the reason in one sentence rather than letting the shipment arrive and explain itself. A customer who heard the delay coming is a customer you keep; a customer who got surprised blames you for the weather even though it was not your fault.

Another move is to look at the routing you have been sleeping on. If your cargo lands at LA-LB and the rail dwell is killing you, a shift to a less congested gateway, or a change from rail to truck for the first leg inland, may beat the dwell cost even at a higher line-haul. I am not saying abandon the West Coast, but for the SKUs where a few days of lead time matters more than a few cents of freight, run the numbers. Do this as a one-page comparison per lane with the forwarder and decide within the week, because the backlog will not wait for your analysis.

Inventory is the lever most teams forget in a rate spike. When ocean is expensive and slow, the cheap defense is to hold more safety stock at the destination so a slipped sailing does not become a stockout. That costs warehouse money, but on a lane where a missed shipment can mean a lost promotion or a halted production line, the math often favors the buffer. I would raise the safety-stock target on your top twenty SKUs by one to two weeks of cover this month and review it the moment rail dwell drops below five days. That review date is the trigger that tells you when to stand the buffer back down.

Contract versus spot is sharper here than on the Asia-Europe lane. If you are on spot you are paying the US$8,217 print and every further climb. If you have a fixed-rate deal you are protected, but you may have already paid for that protection in a higher base. The move now is to ask your carrier for a short fixed commit on the volumes you can guarantee, even for sixty days, because a 13.40 percent monthly climb compounds fast and a two-month cap is worth more than a full-year debate. I would put that request in writing this week and name a person to own the reply, with a deadline of next Friday.

Communication with the carrier and terminal matters more than usual. When the queue is long, a phone call that confirms your box made the vessel beats an email that gets answered after the cut. I would have your coordinator call the carrier booking desk the day after each SI cut-off to confirm loading, not assume it, because a rolled box in this market slips a week, not a day. Write the confirmation into the PO so finance and the customer service team see the same status, and flag any box that is not confirmed within twenty-four hours of the cut-off to you directly.

There is a documentation angle that bites in exactly this situation. Typhoon recovery means a lot of re-bookings, split shipments, and changed vessels, and every one of those is a chance for the rate quote, the booking, and the invoice to drift apart. I would reconcile the three within twenty-four hours of each re-booking, and I would stamp the agreed rate on the PO so nobody quietly pays a higher filed level because a re-booking reset the price. The disputes I see in recovery windows are almost always about a rate that silently changed, not about the storm.

For the smaller importer the math is rougher and the seat is worse. You are last for space, first for the filed rate, and you have no volume to trade for a cap. My honest advice is to pool through a forwarder buying group so your hundred FEU a month becomes part of a thousand, and to lock the sailings you can the moment terminals reopen rather than waiting for a quote that will already be higher. Build the US$8,217 into your landed-cost model now, and re-price any open quote that has not been accepted, because a contract you signed at US$7,000 and ship at US$8,217 is margin you gave away.

The thing I keep in my head is that this is a weather event on top of a busy market, which means it clears, but it clears slower than people hope. The 1.1 million TEU does not vanish in a weekend; it takes several clean sailing cycles to burn off, and each cycle the rate stays firm while the queue is there. Watch the weekly Drewry print and the LA-LB rail dwell; when both flatten for two straight weeks, the spike is done and you can stand the buffers back down. Until then, plan for the high rate and the long transit as the baseline, not the exception.

Let me close on the part that actually protects you. You cannot control the typhoons and you cannot control the 9.6 percent demand jump, but you can control how early you book, how much buffer you quote, how much safety stock you hold, and whether you capped the rate. Do those four and a US$8,217 print plus a 6.75-day dwell is a cost you planned for and a delay you warned about. Skip them and it is a margin hole and an angry customer. That is the whole difference on this lane right now, and it is the difference between a bad quarter and a survivable one.

Let me add a word on the finance side, because the rate print hits the forecast before it hits the dock. The instant the US$8,217 number publishes, every open quote built on the old level is a liability, and a liability that sits in the pipeline silently until the shipment sails and the invoice lands. I would re-issue the Q4 freight assumption to finance this week at the current print for the trans-Pacific lane, and I would stamp the month-on-month climb of 13.40 percent on the memo so nobody smooths it into a gentle average. The trap is a blended number that looks manageable but hides the fact that the back half of the quarter is priced at the top of the range, not the middle.

The tied-up cash is the part most teams miss in a dwell like this. A box sitting at LA-LB for 6.75 days is inventory you have paid ocean for but cannot sell, and if you finance that inventory the interest keeps running while the rail car sits. I would pull the open arrival schedule this week and flag every shipment whose dwell pushes it past a customer commitment, then decide case by case whether to air-bridge the final leg, truck it, or eat the late penalty. That decision is cheaper made on a spreadsheet on Monday than argued on the phone after the customer complains, and the owner of it should be the same person who owns the bookings.

Your forwarder is the early-warning system here, not just the booking clerk. The good ones see the terminal queue length a day before it shows in any index, because they have boxes on the ground, and they will tell you first which sailings are already full. I would call the forwarder account owner this week and ask directly how many of your POs are confirmed against space versus waiting, and I would repeat that call every Monday until the dwell drops. That conversation is worth more than the Drewry print, because by the time the index confirms the squeeze, the space is already gone and you are quoting the next higher number.

One more risk while the lane is this tight: the rolled shipment and the weight check. Carriers get stricter about declared weight and description exactly when space is scarce, and a box that was quietly over-declared gets bumped or fined at the worst moment. I would re-verify the declared weight and commodity on every trans-Pacific booking this week, and I would confirm with the insurer that a rolling event is covered, because a missed sailing costs you the rate gap plus the delay and the policy wording decides who pays. Most teams never read that clause until a claim is denied, and a tight market is when the gap surfaces. Do the check once with the insurer and write the answer into the booking SOP so the next recovery window is not a surprise.

The last item I would put on the list is a read on the annual program, because a typhoon recovery like this is also a window into how the carriers will price the next contract season. When space is this tight and the rate climbs 13.40 percent in a month, the lines are reminded they can name the number, and that memory carries into 2027 talks. I would ask the carrier account team this week for a read on their intent, not to commit, but to learn whether the US$8,217 is a weather blip or the floor they expect to hold. That answer decides whether you lock a multi-year deal before the market firms or wait and risk a higher base, and the teams that ask early sign before the move, not after it.

Let me also say a word about documenting the recovery, because the next typhoon will come and the teams that kept notes are the ones that move faster. I would write a one-page incident record this week: which sailings rolled, which POs slipped, what the real cost was per box, and which carrier communicated best. That sheet is the evidence you bring to the next contract talk, and it is the thing that turns a bad week into a better rate or a better allocation next time. Most sellers live through the squeeze and then forget it by the time the renewal lands, and the carrier remembers only that you paid. The record flips that, and it costs an afternoon.

The position of your inventory inside the US is the quiet fix for a lane this tight. A box that lands at LA-LB and then sits six days on rail is a box you could have pre-positioned closer to the customer before the storm hit. I would look at where your demand actually sits, and I would move safety stock toward the inland destinations that the rail dwell hurts most, so the next backlog burns off against inventory you already hold rather than orders you are waiting on. That positioning is a capital decision, not a freight one, and the owner should be the same person who owns the forecast, because the point is to match stock to where the delay will bite, not just to where the warehouse is cheap.

The communication rhythm with your own internal teams is the part that turns a plan into a result. A re-price that sits in the pricing desk's inbox does nothing, and a buffer that nobody told sales about gets promised away. I would close the loop this week with a single email to sales, finance and customer service that states the new trans-Pacific rate, the added transit buffer, and the safety-stock move, so all three teams hear the same number on the same day. That one email is what stops the left hand from quoting the old world while the right hand is planning the new one, and it is the cheapest coordination you will do all quarter.

  • File the top-tier open PO bookings with confirmed space by close of business Wednesday 7 October and name one ocean coordinator as the owner of that task.
  • Add five to seven days of transit buffer to every trans-Pacific quote issued until the backlog clears, and tell customers the reason in one sentence at the time of quote.
  • Raise safety-stock on the top twenty SKUs by one to two weeks of cover this month and review the moment LA-LB rail dwell falls below five days.
  • Request a sixty-day fixed-rate commitment on guaranteed volumes from your carrier in writing this week, with a reply deadline of Friday 9 October.
  • Call the carrier booking desk the day after each SI cut-off to confirm loading and flag any unconfirmed box to management within twenty-four hours.
  • Reconcile rate quote, booking and invoice within twenty-four hours of every re-booking and stamp the agreed rate on the PO to stop silent price resets.

— 作者 Leo

Read original article →