Drewry's World Container Index rose 1% to $4,500 per 40ft on 17 September 2026, 135% above a year earlier and within 14% of the Covid-era record. Shanghai-New York spot jumped almost 7% in a week to $10,394 per 40ft, while Xeneta's market average reached $10,948. Xeneta also found only 6% of Asia-Europe sailings arrived within 24 hours of schedule, delayed vessels averaging over eight days late. US importers should buy guaranteed space rather than chase the lowest headline rate before China's Golden Week.
Supply Chain Action Points
Every time the World Container Index ticks up I get a small knot in my stomach, because I already know what comes next on the phones from clients. This week it climbed another 1% to $4,500 per 40ft on 17 September, and that figure sits 135% above where we were a year ago. We are now within 14% of the Covid-era record, the one everyone in the room swore we would never see again.
China's Golden Week is about to shutter factories for the better part of a week, and the transpacific is already screaming. Shanghai to New York spot jumped almost 7% in a single week to $10,394 per 40ft, while Xeneta's market average touched $10,948. My advice to anyone importing from Asia right now is blunt: stop chasing the cheapest headline number and go lock guaranteed space before the holiday freeze.
Let me be straight about what I am seeing on my screens this week, because the gap between the index and what you actually pay at the booking desk has rarely been wider in my working memory. The Drewry World Container Index, which a lot of CFOs still treat as the real number, printed $4,500 per 40ft. That is up 1% on the week and a staggering 135% above the same week last year. But here is the catch that the composite hides: the WCI blends dozens of lanes into one figure. The lane that actually matters to a US importer buying furniture, auto parts, or consumer electronics out of Shanghai is running far hotter than the average suggests. Shanghai to New York closed the week at $10,394 per 40ft, a near 7% jump in seven days. Xeneta, which tracks the rates shippers actually commit to rather than a published average, pegged the market at $10,948. So the spread between the friendly composite and the rate you will be quoted is roughly $6,500 per box. That is not noise on a spreadsheet. That is the difference between a margin and a loss on a thin product.
When a client calls me asking what the market is doing, I have stopped giving them one number. I give them three, and I tell them which one their cargo will actually hit. The composite is for the board deck. The lane-specific spot is for the budget. The Xeneta committed average is what your procurement team will be forced to sign if they wait two more weeks. The direction of all three is the same, and that direction is up. I would rather a client be angry with me for being pessimistic in September than furious with me in November when the box did not sail.
The part that keeps me up at night is not the price. It is the reliability. Xeneta's schedule data shows only 6% of Asia-Europe sailings arrived within 24 hours of their advertised schedule. Read that again. Six per cent. Ninety-four per cent were late, and the late ones averaged more than eight days past the promised window. I know the headline here is transpacific, but the equipment and the vessels are the same floating pool the carriers juggle. When lines pull capacity and reshuffle loops to defend rate, the on-time performance on every trade bleeds at the same time. If you are sitting in a US distribution center planning a fourth-quarter promotion, eight days of slippage is not a logistics footnote. It is a stockout on the shelf your buyer is staring at.
Let me run the numbers the way I run them for a client, with the assumptions out in the open. Suppose you are a mid-size importer moving 30 FEUs a month from Shanghai to the US East Coast. An FEU is just the standard 40-foot container, the unit every quote is built around. At the WCI composite of $4,500 you would budget $135,000 in ocean freight for the month. At the Shanghai-New York spot of $10,394 you are looking at $311,820. The gap is $176,820 a month, roughly $2.1 million a year, on the exact same physical boxes of goods. And that calculation assumes you can even book the space, which right now you cannot without a guaranteed contract. The rate is almost secondary to the allocation. A cheap quote you cannot roll is worth less than a confirmed booking at double the price.
Golden Week is the trigger I am watching most closely. Chinese factories wind down around the first week of October for the National Day holiday, and bookings that should have sailed in late September get squeezed into a narrow window right after the break. Carriers pre-empt this by canceling sailings, which is exactly the capacity crunch we watched build through 2021. The smart play is to pull your October and early November volume forward into the last clean sailings of September, pay the premium, and sleep. The expensive box you ship on 25 September is cheaper than the box you cannot ship on 10 October, because the unshipable box becomes an air-freight emergency or a missed promotion either way.
I have made the mistake of waiting for the rate to soften, and the rate did not soften, it hardened, and I paid for the wait in lost sales. A few years back a client of mine sat on a shipment of garden furniture hoping the index would roll over before the spring sell-through. It did not. We ended up flying a fraction of the line to save the season and ate the cost twice over. That is the lesson I drag into every peak season now: the market does not owe you a discount because you hoped for one.
Do not let your supplier pick the forwarder blindly right now. I have watched too many shipments where the factory booked the cheapest possible rate quote, the carrier rolled the cargo to the next sailing, and the importer ate the air freight to save the deal. If you are the importer of record, you control the booking. Put your own nominated carrier or freight forwarder on the purchase order, demand a guaranteed equipment and space confirmation in writing, and treat any quote without that confirmation as a maybe, not a price. A maybe at $4,500 is worthless next to a confirmed booking at $10,000, because the confirmed booking actually moves your goods.
There is also a financing angle people forget until it is too late. When freight goes from $4,500 to $10,394, your working capital is tied up in transit longer and at higher cost. If your terms are CIF and you are the buyer, that extra $5,894 a box sits on your balance sheet until the container clears customs. On 30 boxes that is $176,820 of additional float you did not plan for at the start of the quarter. Talk to your factor or your bank now, not in week three of a stockout. Extend your revolving line by the expected peak exposure before Golden Week, because lenders move slowly and containers move faster than any credit committee.
On the reliability side, build the buffer into the plan, not the panic. With delayed vessels averaging eight days late, a sensible importer keeps at least ten days of cover at the destination DC for anything promotion-critical. That is not vague advice to watch the situation. That is a hard number: take your daily sell-through units for the SKU, multiply by ten, and pre-position that inventory before the first October sailing vanishes. If you cannot pre-position, you book air as a hedge on the top 20% of SKUs by margin, not by volume. Flying a low-margin item to save a sale is how you lose money twice on the same transaction.
The carriers will tell you this is temporary. They said that in 2021 too. What is different this time is the concentration: a handful of alliances control the capacity, and they have gotten very good at matching sailings to demand to hold rates steady. I do not see $4,500 coming back in the fourth quarter. I see the Shanghai-New York number testing five figures again, and the composite drifting toward its old pandemic peak. Plan for the high number. If you get the low number by some luck, you bank the difference and thank the market later.
One practical habit I push on every importer in a tightening market is a weekly rate card. Sit down every Monday with your forwarder and write down three numbers: the composite, your lane spot, and the committed average. Track them on one sheet for eight weeks. After two months you will see the pattern faster than any newsletter, and you will catch the week the spread blows out before your competitors do. Information is the only free thing in this business right now, and most people throw it away by not writing it down.
Another angle worth raising is the role of the equipment itself. When rates spike this hard, carriers stop caring about empty repositioning and start caring about revenue per slot. That means the boxes you need in inland China, away from the base ports, get scarce first. If your factory is in a second-tier city, build an extra week of lead time into your pickup plan right now. The freight may be booked, but the box still has to show up at the gate, and in a tight market the box is the bottleneck, not the ship.
I also want to say something about communication with your own sales team, because the worst losses I see are internal. If you know a SKU will land eight days late, tell the sales lead today, not when the container misses the appointment. Let them pull the promotion forward, or shift the push to a SKU that is already in the building. A supply chain problem that stays inside the logistics team becomes a revenue problem the moment a customer sees an empty shelf. The eight-day delay is real; hiding it just doubles the damage.
For the smaller importer who cannot lock a contract rate, the math is rougher but the move is the same. You will pay spot, so your only lever is timing and consolidation. Group your orders so each sailing is a full container, not three partials, because partials get rolled first when space is tight. Roll the dice on a single clean sailing rather than splitting across three that all get bumped. I have seen a ten-carton LCL shipment sit on a dock for three weeks while the FCL next to it sailed the same day, purely because the carrier protected full boxes.
The thing I keep coming back to is that the $4,500 headline is a comfort blanket, not a price. Anyone who plans against it is planning against a number that does not describe their lane. The $10,394 is closer to the truth for a New York-bound importer, and $10,948 is what discipline costs if you wait. Treat those as your real budget. The 135% year-on-year jump is not a typo and not a one-week blip; it is the forward curve of a market that has re-learned how to price scarcity.
Let me close with the practical, because that is what pays the rent. The single most valuable thing any importer can do in the next ten days is lock a guaranteed-space contract at a defined rate, even if that rate is ugly, and pull forward the volume that would otherwise sail in the Golden Week gap. Everything else, renegotiating with the factory, shopping three forwarders, hoping the index falls, is noise against that one decision. The client who books the ugly rate and ships early will be selling while the client who waited is still arguing with a carrier about a rolled booking. I have lived both endings, and only one of them lets you sleep in October.
I want to add one more thought about how the index itself is read inside companies, because that is where the bad decisions start. A lot of finance teams anchor on the composite because it is the number in the public report, and they build the quarter's freight accrual around it. Then the actual invoices come in at the lane rate, the accrual is wrong, and someone has to explain a miss to the board. If you are the one sending the number up, send the lane number, not the composite, and footnote the spread. The composite is a weather report for the whole ocean. Your cargo is in one lane, and that lane is the only forecast that matters to your cost.
There is also the question of who bears the risk in your contract with the factory. If you bought FOB the Chinese port, the freight from there is your problem and the rate spike is yours to eat. If you bought DDP the US door, the factory or the forwarder they named carries it, but they will price that risk into the next order, so the spike is still yours, just delayed. Either way the market move lands on your P&L. Knowing which clause you signed tells you whether to fight the carrier or the supplier, and fighting the wrong one wastes the two weeks you needed to act.
I want to flag the moment when a rate is high enough that the deal should be renegotiated rather than shipped. At $10,394 Shanghai to New York, a product that carried a 30% gross margin at the old $4,500 rate may carry almost nothing once you add the freight and the duty. I have sat with clients and redone the unit economics line by line, and the answer is sometimes to hold the shipment, re-price the product, or shift the production to a nearer source. The worst outcome is shipping at a loss because nobody recalculated the math after the rate moved. If your margin model was built on the composite, it is lying to you this quarter, and the only fix is to rebuild it on the lane rate before you commit the next booking.
Talk to your CFO with a scenario table, not a complaint. Lay out three columns: the freight at $4,500, the freight at $10,394, and the freight at the $10,948 committed average, then show the landed cost and the margin for each on your top five SKUs. The CFO does not want to hear that the market is crazy. The CFO wants to see which SKUs stay profitable at the high number and which turn red, so the buying and pricing decisions can be made before the goods are on the water. A one-page table written this week is worth more than a month of anxious phone calls in November, because it moves the decision upstream to where it can still change the outcome.
There is also the question of whether to shift some volume off ocean entirely. For the highest-margin, lowest-weight SKUs, air at the current transpacific rates may still beat a lost promotion on the water. I am not saying fly everything. I am saying run the comparison on the top 20% of SKUs by margin and let the numbers decide. The importer who never checks the air alternative in a peak is leaving a tool in the drawer while the ocean box sits on the quay. I have moved exactly that slice for clients and kept the promotion alive for a freight cost that was a fraction of the lost sales. The lane rate tells you when to switch, and right now the lane rate is shouting.
One last point on the human side of a peak like this. The person who books your freight is under pressure too, and the carrier reps are fielding a hundred calls an hour. Be the account they answer first by being the account that decided early. A forwarder remembers the importer who locked in September and stopped calling with daily panic, and when space gets truly scarce that relationship is the difference between a confirmed booking and a polite no. I have watched two equal clients get opposite outcomes in the same week purely on who had decided first and who was still arguing with the market. The rate is the same. The seat at the table is not. The shipper who plans in the calm gets the box in the storm, and the shipper who waits for the storm to prove itself gets the explanation.
- Lock a guaranteed-space contract at a defined rate for at least 30 FEUs of October-November volume before 30 September, even if the rate is near the $10,394 Shanghai-New York spot.
- Pull forward into the last clean September sailings any cargo planned to ship during the Golden Week factory shutdown, targeting zero bookings in the 1-12 October gap.
- Pre-position 10 days of sell-through cover at the destination DC for promotion-critical SKUs, sized from daily units multiplied by ten.
- Put your nominated forwarder and a written equipment-and-space confirmation on every purchase order; reject any quote without that confirmation as a maybe.
- Extend your revolving credit line by the expected peak freight float, roughly $176,820 per 30 FEUs at spot versus composite, before Golden Week.
- Build a weekly three-number rate card with your forwarder and track it for eight weeks to catch spread blowouts early.