UPS announced temporary China-mainland service adjustments for the National Day holiday: export pickup unavailable 1-5 October and import delivery suspended 1-7 October, resuming 8 October. Customer lines run 8 AM-10 PM on 28-30 September but close 1-4 October, reopening 5-6 October; shipments picked up 24-30 September may see one extra business day of delay. UPS restores normal pickup and Saturday service on 10 October, so sellers should ship early or book deferred capacity.
Supply Chain Action Points
UPS has posted its China-mainland National Day schedule, and the dates are the kind you need on your calendar before they bite. Export pickup is unavailable 1-5 Oct, import delivery is suspended 1-7 Oct, and both resume 8 Oct. If you move goods through UPS in or out of mainland China, a full week of your logistics rhythm just went dark.
The customer service lines stay open 8AM to 10PM on 28-30 Sep, so the window to sort this out with a human is the three days right before the holiday, not during it. And here is the kicker for anyone shipping late in September: shipments booked 24-30 Sep may delay up to one business day, so even the run-up is not perfectly clean.
My take as someone who has watched a holiday blackout turn into a missed launch: this is a known, announced gap, which means it is also a preventable one. The teams that get burned are the ones who treated the notice as someone else's problem. Your job this week is to move the freight that cannot wait and re-time the rest.
The first thing to understand is that this is not a rate move, it is a calendar move, and calendar moves are easier to plan around than price moves because the dates are fixed in advance. UPS tells you exactly when the doors close and open: no export pickup 1-5 Oct, no import delivery 1-7 Oct, everything back 8 Oct. The hardest part is not the math, it is the discipline of acting on dates you have known for weeks. I have seen teams read this kind of notice and then still ship on 30 Sep expecting a 1 Oct delivery, and the surprise they feel is entirely self-inflicted.
Let me put the exposure in numbers, because a one-week gap only matters once you size what rides on it. Assume you have 30 import deliveries of time-sensitive components scheduled to land in mainland China between Oct 1 and 7. None of them will be delivered until Oct 8 at the earliest, a slip of anywhere from one to seven days depending on when they were due. If each day a component is late carries $500 in line-down or expedite risk, the exposure runs from 30 times 1 times $500, about $15,000 in the best case, to 30 times 7 times $500, about $105,000 in the worst. I have stated the assumptions plainly: 30 inbound component shipments, a $500 daily risk each, and a one-to-seven day slip. Resize it to your own flow, but do not skip the exercise.
The export side is the mirror image and arguably sharper, because a held export is a sale you cannot book. Export pickup is unavailable 1-5 Oct, so anything you needed collected in that window sits until the 8th. Assume 20 export shipments planned for Oct 1-5, each carrying a $300 SLA penalty to your overseas buyer if it misses its dispatch promise. A full hold pushes them seven days late, and 20 times 7 times $300 is $42,000 of penalty exposure that a single rescheduling decision could have avoided. The point is not the exact figure, it is that the blackout turns a normal week into a concentrated risk you can see from a month out.
The 24-30 Sep booking window is the trap hiding inside the trap. UPS warns shipments booked in that stretch may delay up to one business day. That sounds small, but stacked on top of the holiday closure it means a parcel booked on 30 Sep does not just lose the holiday week, it can also lose an extra day on either side. I tell my team to treat 24-30 Sep as a degraded window, not a clean one, and to push genuinely critical freight before the 24th if at all possible. The one-day caveat is the kind of detail people skim and then blame the carrier for, when the notice was plain.
The customer lines being open 8AM to 10PM on 28-30 Sep is your lifeline and most teams underuse it. Those three days are the only window where a human at UPS can actually help you reroute, confirm, or pre-clear before the doors shut. Call them before the 28th if you can, but definitely inside that window, with a specific list of shipment numbers and desired outcomes. I have resolved more holiday-logistics problems in one phone call on 29 Sep than in the entire blackout week after, because once the closure starts the line is either closed or useless for action.
For imports, the play is to either pull receipts before Oct 1 or push them past Oct 8, and the choice depends on the component's role. If it feeds a line that runs through the holiday, you need it in hand before the 1st, which means booking the inbound so it clears customs and delivery before the window shuts. If the line is also down for the holiday, let the delivery ride to the 8th and don't burn expedite budget chasing a parcel that would have sat in your dock anyway. I have watched teams pay air freight to beat a closure on goods the factory did not need until the 9th, which is money thrown at a calendar.
For exports, the clean move is to dispatch everything that has a hard overseas deadline before the 30 Sep cutoff, accepting the possible one-day delay, and to hold anything without a deadline until the 8th rather than fighting the blackout. The mistake is the middle: shipments with soft deadlines that you half-heartedly push into the blackout and then urgently need on the 6th. Decide now which exports are deadline-driven and move them; let the rest wait. A written cutoff list per destination prevents the 6 Oct panic when someone remembers a parcel that should have gone out.
Communication with your overseas buyers and your local suppliers is the quiet differentiator here. Your buyers do not read UPS notices; they read your promised delivery date. If a shipment now lands on the 8th instead of the 1st, that is your commitment to renegotiate this week, not their problem to discover. Send the revised dates before the holiday, with the reason, and you keep the account. Stay silent and the first they know is a late parcel, which is how a known blackout becomes a relationship scar.
There is a cash-flow angle that gets missed. Export shipments you cannot pick up until the 8th are shipments for which you may have already extended credit or committed production, while the revenue waits an extra week. That is a seven-day stretch on your working capital for every export caught in the window. I would flag the AR tied to those held exports and tighten the collection timing on the other side, because the holiday gap lengthens your float precisely on the goods stuck in limbo.
Small shippers feel this more because they lack the volume to negotiate a handshake with the local hub. A large account can often get a pre-holiday sweep or a designated pickup on the 30th; a small one gets the standard blackout. If you are small, your defense is to consolidate your September exports into as few pickup requests as possible before the 24th, and to tell your buyers the realistic revised dates now so the silence does not read as neglect. The blackout is uniform, but the preparation does not have to be.
Documentation deserves a specific call-out because clearance does not pause cleanly. Even where pickup or delivery is suspended, paperwork and customs can move on different clocks, and a parcel with incomplete docs will still be wrong on the 8th. I make sure every shipment going into the blackout window has its commercial invoice, HS codes, and recipient details squared away before the 28th, so that when the doors open the only delay is the queue, not a reject. The one-day booking caveat plus a docs reject is how a parcel loses ten days instead of one.
Let me also name the forwarder's role. If you are not shipping UPS directly but through a forwarder who uses them, confirm with that forwarder exactly which of their services ride the UPS blackout and which have alternative rails. A good forwarder reroutes your express through a different express network for the blackout days, and that option should be on the table this week. Ask for it by name. If your forwarder shrugs, that is useful information about whose book you are on during the next holiday.
The recovery day, 8 Oct, will be the busy one, and everyone's freight lands at once. Plan for a congested resume, not a clean one. If your inbound is time-critical on the 8th, build a buffer into your own receiving and customs broker capacity that day, because the system will be clearing a week of backlog. I have seen the 8th turn into a two-day slog because every importer assumed their parcel would be first; pad your internal schedule and you absorb the queue instead of joining the panic.
A detail worth flagging is that the blackout is not symmetric between export and import, and that asymmetry should drive which side you defend harder. Import delivery is suspended the full seven days through 7 Oct, while export pickup stops for five days through 5 Oct, so your inbound risk window is two days longer than your outbound one. If you have components arriving and finished goods leaving in the same week, the arriving side is the one more exposed, and I would concentrate the pre-holiday pull on imports rather than splitting the effort. The numbers tell you where to spend your limited pre-closure energy.
There is a knock-on effect on your own production schedule that the notice does not mention. If your plant runs through the holiday on imported inputs, the 1-7 Oct delivery gap is a direct threat to your output, not just to the parcel. I have seen a line idle for three days because a single container sat with UPS undelivered until the 8th, and the cost of that idle time dwarfs any freight saving. Map your bill of materials against the delivery calendar now, and any input with a due date inside the window needs to be in hand before the 1st or your line stops. The blackout is a production risk before it is a logistics one.
The 8 Oct resume deserves as much planning as the closure, because the backlog lands on a single day. Every importer and exporter who held freight will release it at once, and the local hub, customs, and your own receiving dock will all clog. I build a receiving plan for the 8th and 9th that assumes volume two to three times normal, and I warn my customers that their 8 Oct deliveries may slip a day into the 9th. Pretending the resume is clean is how you create the second wave of delays, and the only cure is to plan the recovery as deliberately as the gap.
A quieter cost is the administrative load on your team during the blackout window. With pickup and delivery suspended, the exception queue fills with tracking inquiries, proof-of-delay requests, and angry buyer emails, all of which someone has to answer without being able to fix the root cause. I pre-write a standard holding reply with the revised dates and the UPS notice attached, and I authorize my team to send it without escalation, so the human hours go to the shipments that can still be moved rather than to explaining the unavoidable. The blackout tests your inbox as much as your supply chain.
Let me talk about the buyers on the other side of your export. When your export pickup is suspended 1-5 Oct, your overseas customer's replenishment clock keeps running, and a shipment that was supposed to land on the 3rd now lands on the 8th at best. If that customer runs lean inventory, the five-day slip can become an out-of-stock on their shelf, which becomes a lost sale attributed to you. I would flag the specific overseas accounts with thin cover and offer them a split shipment before the 30th cutoff or an alternative express rail where available, because the blackout is your problem to manage, not theirs to absorb.
There is also the question of what to do with freight already in transit when the window hits. A parcel that clears customs on 2 Oct but cannot be delivered until the 8th is not lost, it is parked, and the parking has a cost in your own warehouse staging and in the buyer's expectation. I confirm with UPS where such parcels will sit and whether they can be held at a nearby access point for early self-pickup, because shaving even a day off the 8 Oct pile helps. The detail of where the box waits is a lever most teams forget, and in a blackout the lever is free if you ask.
Small shippers again face the sharper edge, because without a dedicated account manager the blackout becomes a maze of held calls and unexplained holds. If you are small, the 28-30 Sep phone window is not optional for you, it is the only chance to get a human to pre-clear or reroute before the doors shut. I would block those three days on your calendar and make the calls yourself rather than delegating, because the person who can help you is fielding hundreds of requests and a direct, specific ask cuts through. The uniform blackout punishes the silent more than the loud.
And do not treat this as a one-time event you can forget after the 8th. China's holiday calendar has more of these gaps through the year, and the teams that handle October well are the ones who built a reusable playbook from it. I keep a standing pre-holiday checklist, pulled forward two weeks, with the pickup and delivery blackout dates, the phone-window hours, and the degraded booking caveat already templated, so the next closure is a checklist run rather than a fire drill. The National Day gap is the annual rehearsal for the bigger ones, and the rehearsal only pays if you write down what worked.
One more operational point: the degraded 24-30 Sep booking window means your tracking data during that stretch is less trustworthy than usual, and a parcel that shows in-transit may actually be sitting because the pickup never happened. I reconcile every 24-30 Sep booking against a confirmed pickup scan before I treat it as moving, and anything without a scan by the 30th I rebook on the earliest 8 Oct slot rather than assuming it will sort itself out. The one-day caveat is exactly the kind of small print that becomes a big problem when everyone else is also rushing, and a manual reconcile is the only defense.
Think about your supplier side too, because the blackout cuts both ways on your inbound. If you rely on China-based suppliers who ship via UPS, their ability to dispatch before the 30th cutoff is now your problem as much as theirs, and a supplier who misses the window hands you a late arrival you cannot explain to your own customer. I would send the cutoff date to every China supplier this week with a request for confirmation, and pre-clear any that flag a risk, because the blackout is a shared constraint and the teams that survive it are the ones who extended the warning upstream.
And do not forget that the 8 Oct resume collides with a normal working week, so the backlog is not just UPS clearing parcels, it is your whole logistics chain absorbing a week of deferred volume on top of current flow. I pre-warn my customs broker and my receiving crew that the 8-10 Oct window will run hot, and I authorize overtime on the dock before the fact rather than after the pile forms. The blackout is a scheduling event for your entire operation, not just a carrier notice, and treating it as the latter is how you end up with a second-week mess.
So here is where I land. This is a fixed, announced gap, which makes it one of the most preventable disruptions on the calendar. Pull time-sensitive imports before 1 Oct or push them past 8 Oct, dispatch deadline-driven exports before the 30 Sep cutoff, treat 24-30 Sep as degraded, use the 28-30 Sep phone window, and tell your buyers the revised dates now. Do that and the National Day blackout is a scheduled pause you planned around, not a crisis you ate. — Leo
- Pull time-sensitive import deliveries before 1 Oct or defer them past 8 Oct; confirm each parcel's revised arrival with the recipient by 30 Sep.
- Dispatch all deadline-driven export shipments before the 30 Sep cutoff, accepting up to a one-business-day delay from the 24-30 Sep booking caveat.
- Call UPS customer lines (8AM-10PM, 28-30 Sep) with a specific shipment list to reroute or pre-clear before the blackout starts.
- Square away commercial invoices, HS codes, and recipient details for every parcel entering the window before 28 Sep to avoid a docs reject on 8 Oct.
- Buffer your internal receiving and customs capacity on 8 Oct for the backlog resume, and tell overseas buyers revised dates now.
- Flag AR tied to exports held until 8 Oct and tighten collections, since the blackout stretches working capital by up to seven days.