Genoa terminals suspended operations on 28 September for a nationwide maritime strike, adding a fresh European disruption as German port risk builds. Genoa was already running vessel waits near 1.86 days and delays up to 5 days on import volumes, trucking limits and tight rail capacity. In Germany, 64.7% of ver.di voters rejected the employer offer on 15 September, and a members' ballot runs to the evening of 1 October, with 75% rejection triggering a forced strike at six seaports.
Supply Chain Action Points
Two separate European port stories landed on the same day, and taken together they say something that neither says alone. Genoa's terminals suspended operations on 28 September for a nationwide maritime strike. And in Germany, 64.7 percent of ver.di members rejected the employer offer back on 15 September, with a members' ballot running to the evening of 1 October and a 75 percent rejection threshold that would trigger a forced strike at six seaports covering around 11,000 workers.
I moved a lot of Mediterranean and North Europe cargo in my earlier years, and the pattern in both countries is familiar in an uncomfortable way. Genoa was already running average vessel waits near 1.86 days, with delays stretching to about five days on import volumes, trucking shortages and tight rail capacity. That is a port operating without any slack. Add a one-day nationwide stoppage and you do not lose one day, you lose several, because a port running at capacity has no buffer to catch up with.
The German side is the one I would watch more carefully, because the ballot deadline of 1 October is knowable and the math is public. Anyone with North Europe volume should be doing their scenario work this week rather than after the result comes out, and anyone with Mediterranean volume should be doing the same for Genoa right now, because the queue from a stoppage does not clear on the day the stoppage ends.
One more framing note before I get into the detail. I have learned to separate port disruptions into two types. The type where you can see it coming and prepare is a logistics problem, and the type that arrives without warning is a crisis. Genoa is the second type for anyone who did not have it on the radar. Germany is squarely the first type, and the fact that the decision point is public and dated means there is no excuse for being caught flat-footed. I have been caught flat-footed by the first type once, and the conversation with the customer was worse than the freight bill. Since then I calendar these ballot dates the way I calendar sailing cut-offs, because that is genuinely what they are.
Let me get the facts in order, because the two pieces interact and it matters which one you plan against. On 28 September Genoa's terminals suspended operations for a nationwide maritime workers' strike. That port was already stretched before the strike: seven-day average vessel waiting time near 1.86 days, and delays of up to around five days driven by growing import volumes, insufficient trucking capacity and constrained rail capability. In Germany, ver.di's 15 September vote saw 64.7 percent of members reject the employer offer. The members' ballot runs to the evening of 1 October. If the rejection reaches 75 percent, a forced strike follows at six seaports covering roughly 11,000 employees. And the yard and inland connection backlogs from earlier strikes have not been fully worked off.
Start with Genoa because it is already happening. A one-day stoppage at a port with 1.86 days of average waiting is not a one-day event for anybody's cargo. The queue that builds during the stoppage has to be cleared afterward, and a port with no idle berth capacity clears slowly. My working assumption in cases like this is that a one-day terminal stoppage at a congested port costs the average shipment three to five extra days, because the vessel loses its window, the berth window shifts, and the inland connection has to be re-booked. If your container is on a vessel that was due to berth on 28 or 29 September, plan for a week, not a day.
Then look at Germany, where the situation is a scheduled decision rather than an active stoppage. The numbers give you something to plan against. Sixty-four point seven percent rejection on 15 September is already above a simple majority, which tells you the membership mood. The question is whether it clears 75 percent when the ballot closes on the evening of 1 October. I would not forecast the result and neither should you, but you should notice that the gap between 64.7 and 75 is about ten points, which is not a trivial margin but not an impossible one either. Plan for both outcomes and be ready to act within 24 hours of the result.
What does a German port strike actually cost. Assume you have a container of machinery moving on a North Europe service into Hamburg with a planned discharge on 6 October, and assume a forced strike runs five working days. The vessel will either wait, which pushes your discharge to around 13 October, or it will omit Hamburg and discharge at an alternative port, which adds an inland transport leg. Assume the omission route costs you an extra 900 dollars per 40-foot container in combined feeder and trucking costs, and assume the waiting route costs you 1,400 dollars in demurrage and detention plus five days of inventory carrying cost. At a landed value of 120,000 dollars per container and a 20 percent annual carrying cost, five days is 120,000 times 0.2 times 5 divided by 365, about 329 dollars. So the waiting route lands around 1,730 dollars and the omission route around 1,229 dollars, before you count the customer conversation about a late delivery. That is the shape of the decision, and it is a decision you want to make in advance rather than under pressure.
Now let me talk about what shippers usually get wrong in a European port disruption, because I have watched this pattern repeat. The first mistake is assuming a port disruption is a freight problem. It is not, it is an inventory and a customer commitment problem, and the freight cost is the smaller part of it. If your goods are late by five days and they were destined for a retail promotion or a production line, the penalty for lateness dwarfs the extra 900 dollars of trucking. So the right first move is not to call your forwarder, it is to check what the delay does to your downstream commitments, and then to decide how much freight premium is worth paying to protect them.
The second mistake is not knowing your free time. Demurrage and detention free days are the single most valuable thing to have in writing when a port disruption hits, because the difference between five free days and ten free days at a congested European port is often more money than the rate difference you negotiated on the ocean leg. I have seen a contract where the shipper fought hard for a 150 dollar per FEU rate reduction and accepted five free days, when ten free days would have been worth several times as much in a disruption month. If your contracts come up for renewal, and they probably do in Q4, that is the term to push on.
The third mistake is under-planning the inland leg. Both Italy and Germany have real inland capacity constraints, and a strike at the port amplifies them because the cargo that does not move also does not clear the yard, which means the trucks and trains that serve the port get stuck in the queue too. In Genoa's case the reporting specifically cites trucking shortages and tight rail capacity as drivers of the five-day delays. So even if your vessel berths on time, the inland move is where the extra days accumulate. For any cargo moving to or from inland destinations in northern Italy or southern Germany, I would add a week to the plan as a base case for the next several weeks.
Let me put the alternative routing question on the table honestly, because it is the obvious one and it is not free. If you are routing into Genoa and want to avoid it, the substitutes are La Spezia, Livorno, or moving the whole flow to a North Europe gateway and trucking or railing south. Each has a cost. La Spezia and Livorno have less capacity and will themselves be handling diverted cargo, so their waiting times will rise. A North Europe gateway means a longer ocean leg plus a rail or truck move across the Alps, which adds cost and, in the case of the Alpine rail corridors, competes for limited slots. Switching ports also means re-issuing documentation, changing your customs entry point, and re-establishing drayage arrangements, and that takes weeks. If you are going to switch, switch for a reason and a period, not permanently, and do not switch into a port that everyone else is switching into.
Here is what I would do on a practical timeline. Before the German ballot result comes out on the evening of 1 October, get your own position clear. List every container of yours that is scheduled to load for, or discharge at, a German or Italian port between now and the end of October, with the vessel, the port, the estimated arrival, and the downstream commitment it serves. That list is the input for every decision you make next week, and it takes an afternoon.
Next, get your free time and your options confirmed in writing. Ask your carrier and your forwarder for the current demurrage and detention terms for the specific ports and terminals in question, ask what the omission and diversion policy is, and ask what alternative discharge ports are available on the same service. Ask for it in writing on the morning of 1 October rather than waiting for a result, because if the result triggers a strike, everyone calls at once and the response time goes from hours to days.
After that, decide your trigger thresholds rather than reacting. I would set a trigger at a 75 percent rejection result, at which point you divert any container with a hard downstream deadline and accept the extra cost, and you leave flexible cargo in place to absorb the delay. For cargo without a hard deadline, waiting through a five-day strike is usually cheaper than diverting, so the discipline is in the segmentation rather than in the reaction.
Then protect the customer relationship, because that is where the real money sits. If a delay is likely, tell the customer early with a revised window rather than telling them late with an apology. I have found that a customer told three weeks ahead about a five-day delay is a manageable problem, and a customer told two days ahead about the same delay is a relationship problem. Put the communication in the plan as a task with an owner, not as something you will do if it becomes necessary.
One more thing about the calendar, because October is unusually congested this year. The German ballot closes on 1 October, and if there is a forced strike it will run into the first half of October. Golden Week in China falls at the start of October, which affects export volumes and vessel loadings out of Chinese ports in the same window. And the European peak inbound season is building. So you have a scenario where Chinese loading slows, European discharge is disrupted, and European inland capacity is tight, all at once. That combination is exactly the one that turns a manageable port disruption into a month-long mess, and it is the one I would plan against rather than the individual strike events.
On the cost of insurance, I would not over-engineer it. Cargo insurance does not cover delay in the ordinary course, so buying more of it does not solve a strike. What is worth checking is whether your policy's war and strikes exclusions have any effect on cover while a strike is active, and whether your inland transit cover extends to a diverted port or a re-routed inland leg. That is a question for your broker this week, and it takes one call.
The summary, and this is how I would frame it for anyone with European volume this autumn. Genoa is a live disruption costing days now. Germany is a scheduled risk with a known decision point on 1 October. Neither one is a reason to redesign your European network. Both are a reason to know your exposure, know your free time, know your alternatives, and have your customer communication drafted before the news breaks. Do those four things and a five-day strike becomes an inconvenience rather than a quarterly earnings item.
Let me also be specific about what happens to the equipment, because this is the detail that wrecks the following month. A port strike does not just delay the cargo, it delays the containers. Boxes that were supposed to be discharged and returned get stuck on the terminal, empties that should be repositioned do not move, and the carrier has to find equipment from its pool somewhere else. The downstream effect is that one to three weeks after the strike ends, you get a shortage of the equipment type you need, and it shows up as a release refusal or a container availability delay that nobody connects back to the strike. If you have a recurring demand for a specific equipment type, reefers being the classic case, get your bookings and your equipment releases confirmed before the ballot closes rather than after.
I would also flag the rail intermodal side, and this is where the Italian situation connects to a broader European pattern. Genoa's rail links are already cited as a constraint on the port's throughput, and rail capacity into and out of a congested port is not elastic. When a strike pushes cargo through a compressed window, the rail slots that exist get allocated to the largest shippers and the ones with the strongest commercial relationships, and the smaller and mid-tier shippers get the leftovers. I have seen a mid-sized shipper effectively lose a week of rail allocation during a post-strike surge and have no recourse because the allocation is not a contractual entitlement. If you rely on rail out of an Italian or German port, talk to your rail provider about protected allocation now, and be realistic that they may not be able to promise it.
One more consideration on the German side that shippers rarely think about, and it is about the sequence rather than the event. A 75 percent rejection result does not mean a strike starts the next morning. There is a notice period, there is a union decision on scope and duration, and there is often a last-minute attempt to reach a settlement. That sequence matters because it creates a window, roughly two to five days, in which you know a strike is coming before it starts. Most shippers waste that window waiting for confirmation. The ones who use it well are the ones who move their hard-deadline cargo to a different vessel or a different port in those days, and they come out of the event with their customer commitments intact.
And I want to say something about the interaction between the Italian stoppage and the German risk that I think is the most under-appreciated part of this week. European equipment and inland capacity are somewhat shared across the North Europe and Mediterranean ranges through the feeder and rail networks and through the way carriers reposition boxes. A disruption in one range puts pressure on the other because cargo diverts and equipment gets pulled around. So a shipper who says "my cargo does not touch Italy" and ignores the German ballot is only reading half the story. I would look at total European exposure, not port by port exposure, and I would assume that a sustained German strike would raise pressure on alternative North Europe ports and, at the margin, on Mediterranean routing as well.
And one closing word on how to think about this without overreacting, because I have seen shippers swing from doing nothing to rerouting everything. The cost of a poorly considered reroute, in terms of documentation, customs re-entry, inland re-booking and customer confusion, is often higher than the delay it was meant to avoid. The discipline is to reroute only the cargo that has a genuine deadline, keep the rest in place, and keep your customer communication honest about the range of outcomes. That combination, applied consistently, has gotten me through every port disruption I have faced, and there have been more of them than I would like.
Author: Leo
- By the morning of 1 October 2026, list every container scheduled to load or discharge at a German or Italian port through end-October, with vessel, port, ETA and the downstream commitment it serves.
- Request written confirmation of demurrage and detention free days, omission and diversion policy, and alternative discharge ports for those services on 1 October before the ballot result is known.
- Set a trigger at a 75 percent rejection result: divert containers with hard downstream deadlines, leave flexible cargo to absorb the delay.
- Push for ten days of free time rather than five at every Q4 European contract renewal, since the difference outweighs a typical ocean rate fight.
- Assign an owner to send customers a revised delivery window at least three weeks ahead of any expected strike delay.